Police deny claims of death threats against St Thomas boys
KINGSTON, Jamaica -- The Police have denied media reports and claims by human rights organizations that two boys are now in hiding after members of the Force issued death threats against them.
According to a Constabulary Communication Network release Saturday, both boys were picked up on Friday, June 14 in connection with a murder committed in Port Morant in St Thomas and were later released.
The cops say it is believed that the boys are the perpetrators of various criminal acts currently under investigation
“The intelligence of the Police aligns both boys to criminal gangs,” CCN, the news arm of the Jamaica Constabulary Force reported.
“One attends a prominent high school in St Thomas and is the leader of a gang within the school community; the other was expelled from the same school and now attends a high school in the Corporate Area.”
The CCN said that the boys are brothers of the former leader of the Yallahs-based Trendsetter Gang, who was fatally shot by the Police in October last year.
“While we are in no position to dictate to human rights groups how they carry out their tasks. It would be refreshing at a time when violence involving our youths especially those in school is most pronounced, if they would move away from their obvious mandate and use their influence to encourage these youngsters not to get involved in a life of crime and violence,” the police report said adding that investigations by the Independent Commission of Investigations (INDECOM) were welcome with the hope that the findings are made public.