Reapplying for a visa after deportation

Wednesday, February 12, 2014    

Print this page Email A Friend!

Q: I met and fell in love with this Christian man. We eventually got married. He told me that he once lived in the United States, got into some problems and was imprisoned for about two years. He was deported in 1991. However, he refused to tell me the reason he was imprisoned. He said that immigration told him when he was departing the USA that he can reapply in five years time. I travel to the US regularly and would want him to accompany me. Is it possible for him to be granted a visa to re-enter the United States?"

A: More than five years have elapsed since your husband's deportation in 1991, so he would no longer be ineligible on those grounds, assuming that was his only problem with immigration in the US. However, this does not remove the reasons that led to his deportation in the first place.

Some visa ineligibilities are related to past criminal activity. The type and length of the ineligibility will depend on the type and severity of the crime. If your husband decides to reapply for a visa, he will need to bring to the interview all documents he has regarding any arrest. The consular officer will then be able to determine whether or not your husband qualifies for a visitor's visa. You can find more information about how to apply for a visitor's visa on our website:

Reminder for US Citizens

All US citizens who live outside of the United States and want to vote by absentee ballot must complete a new Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) every year if they wish to vote from abroad. For more information, please visit You may drop off your voting materials with postage affixed at the US Embassy in Kingston or at the US Consular Agencies in Montego Bay and the Cayman Islands for delivery to the United States.

The Embassy staff in Kingston will answer questions you may have regarding the US Mission, including consular law, regulations and/or practice. In order to respect privacy, staff will not answer questions about specific visa applications. The embassy employs a visa appointment system, so it is only necessary for visa applicants to arrive 15 minutes before their scheduled appointment.

Send your questions to: and we will send them to the embassy.





1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper – email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed:

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email:

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy

comments powered by Disqus


Do you think an increase in JUTC bus fares is justified at this time?

View Results »


Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon