Retest the guns - DPP
DIRECTOR of Public Prosecutions Paula Llewellyn told the court on Friday that the guns of the three soldiers implicated in the killing of accountant Keith Clarke are to be retested, as a result of a warhead found in the dead man's bedroom.
Llewellyn's disclosure comes a month after the Home Circuit Court was first told that the Independent Commission of Investigation wanted to retest the weapons that were being used by the accused men on the night of the incident in May 2010.
Justice Christine McDonald ruled that the defence's expert must be present when the retesting is being done.
Meanwhile, McDonald lifted the confinement order against the soldiers, following an application by Queen's Counsel Howard Hamilton, who heads the men's legal team. This means that they will no longer be confined to the Jamaica Defence Force headquarters in Cross Roads, as had been the case since they were offered bail in July. They will, however, be required to report to the Cross Roads Police Station from Monday to Friday.
The confinement was relaxed last month to allow the men to go home on weekends, but Hamilton told the court Friday that this was preventing them from conducting personal business. However, the stop orders which bar them from leaving the island remains in effect.
Lance Corporals Greg Tinglin and Odel Buckley and Private Arnold Henry are charged with murder in the shooting death of Clarke at his Kirkland Heights, St Andrew, home during the search for former Tivoli Gardens don Christopher 'Dudus' Coke.
The men are to return to court on December 7 for a case management conference, where an application is expected to be made for the case to be tried outside the Corporate Area, given the close proximity of Tivoli Gardens.