News

Six detained after rape of two British women

Wednesday, May 18, 2011    

Print this page Email A Friend!


CASTRIES, St Lucia (CMC) — The St Lucia police Monday said they had detained six persons whom they believed had been involved in the ambush and rape of two British women while on an isolated beach on the island's north east coast.

Police said that the women, whose names were not given and in their early 30s, were on an environmental expedition which entailed camping at the location.

"We are pleased with speed at which the officers were able to apprehend the suspects in this case, and we are very thankful to members of the public who might have provided information leading to their arrests," Police Commissioner Vernon Francois said.

The men are due to appear in court later this week.

The incident is also being investigated by officials of the Ministry of Agriculture who explained that officers from the department would normally accompany students undertaking such assignments in these isolated locations.

British High Commissioner Karl Burrows described the attack on two women as a "dreadful crime" but has endorsed the island as a "friendly and welcoming country".

Burrows has advised British nationals visiting the island to exercise caution, as they would anywhere else, and pointed out that crime against UK tourists was not widespread.

"To put it into context, we have about 75,000 British to St Lucia each year and the vast majority of visits are incidents free," the high commissioner said.

"Our advice to British nationals is that common sense rules apply. There is crime as there is everywhere, but St Lucia is a friendly and welcoming country. Overall crime rates are low but common sense rules do apply. We advise against being in isolated areas after dark."

The British high commissioner expressed disappointment that news of the attack reached his office via the media and not through official channels.

"That's not the way things work and we are disappointed we were not contacted directly by the police, but hopefully we will be able to put procedures in place in order to remind the St. Lucia police of what sort of procedures should be followed," he told a local newspaper.

ADVERTISEMENT

POST A COMMENT

HOUSE RULES

 

1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper – email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: advertising@jamaicaobserver.com.

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: community@jamaicaobserver.com.

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy



comments powered by Disqus
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Poll

Did the NWC prepare adequately for the current drought?
Yes
No


View Results »


ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon
ADVERTISEMENT