T&T journalist barred from covering event at president's office
PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad (CMC) — The Newsday newspaper yesterday said that its senior investigative reporter, Andre Bagoo had been banned from attending a media event at the Office of the President, "due to concerns that he might ask President Anthony Carmona a question".
The paper reported that although it had submitted the name of Bagoo to cover the handing-over ceremony for the Report of the Commission of Enquiry into the events of 1990, the reporter was told on arrival at the president's office that his name was not on the list and he was not authorised to attend the event.
"Bagoo's name was apparently not placed on a list of invitees after concerns were expressed by staff at President's House over Newsday's assignment of the reporter to cover the event.
"President's House said they were concerned Bagoo would ask the president questions, having done so on February 27 when Bagoo sought the president's response over criticisms relating to the revolving appointments of deputy chairman of the Integrity Commission, retired Justice Sebastian Ventour," the paper reported.
The paper said that on Wednesday, the Office of the President had issued a press release inviting the media to attend the formal handing-over of the Commission of Enquiry report, indicating also that the name of the journalist to cover the event be submitted to the information officer of the president.
But the paper said after it submitted Bagoo's name, there were calls from a spokesperson from the Office of the President ...saying there was a "concern" over the reporter being assigned.