Tips for Sunday's 5K from Juliet Cuthbert
ARE you feeling a little uneasy as the time winds down to make the trek for Sigma Corporate Run 2014?
The anticipation is no doubt building and whether you have been shaping up for the big day, which may very well be your first 5K, or not, here are a few tips from Fitness Consultant Juliet Cuthbert to ensure that, come Sunday, you get it right.
1. Go at your own pace. A lot of people tend to try to follow everybody when the gun goes off, but the key is to pace yourself.
2. Do not wear the wrong pair of shoes. You need to come out in a decent pair of shoes that have inserts in them; you cannot run in anything flat, it is just not going to work, you need running sneakers.
3. Have complex carbs, like spaghetti, the night before the race. Spaghetti, cooked al dente, is very good, because it is slowly released in the body. It will help you with energy for the next day.
4. Start hydrating two days before. Don't wait until the day to start drinking water; it's just not going to work.
5. It's very important to cool down. There is something called delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) ... it is very wicked, comes on two days after you finish working out and you're like, where did this pain come from? You need to stretch, that's going to minimise the soreness and if you do get sore, and are afraid of an ice pack, soak in your tub. Get a big box of Epsom salts, pour it in the tub, fill it up with warm water and sit in it for 10 minutes. If you want, you can also get a very light massage, called a flush out.