Tivoli incursion files handed over to INDECOM
THE Independent Commission of Investigations (INDECOM) says that it is in receipt of files related to the public defender's probe into the 2010 police/military incursion in Tivoli Gardens.
The commission said the files were handed over by the Office of the Public Defender on April 4. Among the files, the investigative body said, are 44 "which the Public Defender Earl Witter said had statements that indicated these persons killed during the operation could have been victims of excessive use of force".
"A team has since been assigned the mammoth task of examining all the files," INDECOM said in a press release yesterday.
"The first of three steps to be taken include the examination of the statements included in these files alongside post mortem and ballistic evidence so far, with a view to prioritising for further ballistic analysis. Thereafter, the JDF (Jamaica Defence Force) and JCF (Jamaica Constabulary Force) weapons are to be test-fired based on the prioritisation; thirdly, ballistic comparison will be conducted by the government ballistic expert in the presence of the independent ballistic expert," INDECOM explained.