Traffic changes, strict security for Boyz match
KINGSTON, Jamaica — The police are advising people attending the World Cup Football qualifier between Jamaica and Antigua at the National Stadium today that strict security measures will be in place.
In addition, the police say that traffic changes will take effect at approximately one hour before the six o’clock start of the match.
According to the police firearms, knives, drugs, ice picks, machetes, glass bottles or any other items that can be used to cause serious harm or injury will not be allowed inside the venue.
Licensed firearm holders are also being advised to make arrangements to leave firearms for safekeeping with their local police.
The following traffic changes will take effect approximately 5:00pm:
Authur Wint Drive
• Authur Wint Drive, from its junction with North Avenue will be used as a ‘One Way’ with the two lanes allowing traffic to proceed towards the National Stadium.
• Motorists will be required to turn left onto Roosevelt Avenue, right onto Stanton Terrace, right onto Mountain View Avenue, right on upper Authur Wint Drive and into the car parks.
During the match, this section of the road will reopen to vehicular traffic.
Roosevelt Avenue/Stanton Terrace
Only vehicles displaying VIP stickers will be allowed access from Stanton Terrace onto Roosevelt Avenue in order to use the VIP entrance at gate E1 along Authur Wint Drive.
Old Hope Road/Latham Avenue
• Latham Avenue, at the intersection with Old Hope Road will be closed to vehicular traffic.
Mountain View/Stanton Terrace
• Police personnel will be in place at this junction to assist motorists coming from Stanton Terrace and turning right onto Mountain View Avenue in an efficient manner.
Authur Wint/Statute Road vicinity main gate
• Police personnel will be in place within this vicinity to keep pedestrian area free from vehicular traffic as well as to coordinate activities along Authur Wint Drive in the vicinity of the car park entrances.
The general public will gain access to the stadium at Gates E4-8.