US says suspect in Afghan killings trained as sniper

US says suspect in Afghan killings trained as sniper

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Print this page Email A Friend!




KANDAHAR, Afghanistan (AP) — The soldier accused of killing 16 Afghan civilians, most of them children, and burning their bodies was trained as a sniper and recently suffered a head injury in Iraq, US officials have said.


The name of the suspect, a married, 38-year-old father of two, has not been released. Secretary of Defence Leon Panetta said he may face capital charges, and that the US must resist pressure from Washington and Kabul to change course in Afghanistan because of anti-American outrage over the shooting.


"We seem to get tested almost every other day with challenges that test our leadership and our commitment to the mission that we're involved in," Panetta told reporters travelling with him on Monday to Kyrgyzstan. "War is hell."


A US official said that during a recent tour of duty in Iraq, the suspect was involved in a vehicle accident and suffered a head injury. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the matter is under investigation.


The vehicle accident was not a combat-related event, the official said. There was no available indication about the extent of the injury, or whether his injury could be linked to any abnormal behaviour afterward.


Two US officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the suspect had been trained as a sniper.


Sunday's attack in southern Kandahar province unfolded in two villages near an American base. Villager Mohammad Zahir recounted how an American soldier burst into his home in the middle of the night, searched the rooms, then dropped to a knee and shot his father in the thigh as he emerged from a bedroom.


"He was not holding anything — not even a cup of tea," Zahir said.


The shootings come as anti-Americanism already is boiling over in Afghanistan after US troops burned Qurans last month and a video of Marines urinating on alleged Taliban corpses was posted on the Internet in January.


If the attack unleashes another wave of anti-foreigner hatred, it could threaten the future of the US-led coalition's mission in Afghanistan. The events have also raised doubts among US political figures that the long and costly war is worthy.


An enraged Afghan President Hamid Karzai called it "an assassination, an intentional killing of innocent civilians" that cannot be forgiven. He demanded an explanation from Washington for the deaths, which included nine children and three women.


NATO and member countries said the slayings were a blow to the alliance's efforts to cultivate trust but would not affect the timeline to hand over security operations to Afghans by the end of 2014. The White House said US objectives will not change because of the killings.


Outraged Afghan lawmakers called for a suspension of talks on how to formalise a long-term US military presence in the country and demanded that the shooter face trial in an Afghan court.


The soldier, a staff sergeant who has been in the military for 11 years and served three tours in Iraq, was being held in pretrial confinement in Kandahar by the US military while army officials review his complete deployment and medical history, Pentagon officials said.


The soldier's name was not released because it would be "inappropriate" to do so before charges are filed, said Pentagon spokesman George Little.


But Panetta, giving his first public remarks on the incident, said Monday evening the death penalty is a consideration as the military moves to investigate and possibly put the suspect on trial.


The soldier was deployed to Afghanistan on December 3 with the 2nd Battalion, 3rd Infantry Regiment of the 3rd Stryker Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division, based at Joint Base Lewis-McChord, located south of Seattle, according to a congressional source, speaking on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the matter.


He was assigned in February 1 to the village stability programme in Belambai, a half-mile from one of the villages where the attack took place, the source said.


Zahir told how he watched the soldier enter his house and move through it methodically, checking each room.


"I heard a gunshot. When I came out of my room, somebody entered our house. He was in a NATO forces uniform. I didn't see his face because it was dark," he said.


Zahir, 26, said he quickly went to a part of the house where animals are penned.


"After that, I saw him moving to different areas of the house — like he was searching," he said.


His father, unarmed, then took a few steps out of his bedroom, Zahir recalled. Then the soldier fired.


"I love my father, but I was sure that if I came out he would shoot me too. So I waited," Zahir said. His mother started pulling his father into the room, and he helped cover his father's bullet wound with a cloth. Zahir's father survived.


After the gunman left, Zahir said he heard more gunshots near the house, and he stayed in hiding for a few minutes to make sure he was gone.


Tensions between Afghanistan and the United States soared last month after word of the Quran burnings got out. President Barack Obama said the burnings were a mistake and apologised.


The strains had appeared to be easing as recently as last Friday when the two governments signed a memorandum of understanding about the transfer of Afghan detainees to Afghan control -- a key step toward an eventual strategic partnership to govern US forces in the country after most combat troops leave in 2014.


In Afghanistan's parliament, however, lawmakers on Monday called for a halt to talks on the strategic partnership document until it is clear that the soldier behind the shooting rampage is facing justice in Afghanistan.


"We said to Karzai: If you sign that document, you are betraying your country," said Shikiba Ashimi, a parliamentarian from Kandahar. "There is no more tolerance for this kind of incident. It is over, over. We want such people on trial inside Afghanistan, in Afghan courts."


"The US should be very careful. It is sabotaging the atmosphere of this strategic partnership," she added.


Currently, American service members in Afghanistan are subject to US military law and proceedings. But the parliamentarians said they want this changed in the document under negotiation. The US is unlikely to agree to that issue, pulling out of Iraq when Baghdad demanded the right to prosecute US forces.


The photographs of dead toddlers wrapped in bloody blankets in Panjwai district started to make the rounds in Afghanistan on Monday. The images were broadcast on Afghan TV stations, and people posted them on social network sites and blogs.


The public response to the shootings so far has been calmer than the six days of riots and attacks after Qurans were burned at Bagram Air Field, leaving 30 people dead, including six US soldiers.


The more muted response could be a result of Afghans being used to dealing with civilian casualties over a decade of war. Some said the slayings in Panjwai was more in keeping with Afghans' experience of deadly night raids and airstrikes than the Quran burnings were.


"It's not that these things have an immediate effect, it's that they exacerbate tensions, and I think we're seeing the US and the Afghan governments being really impatient with each other. There's an element of mistrust, and these incidents really exacerbate that," said Kate Clark, of the Kabul-based Afghan Analysts Network.


There's also a question of how the slayings will affect ongoing attempts to negotiate with the Taliban, who may feel that they have a stronger position to appeal to the people. The insurgent group vowed revenge for the attack.


The al-Qaeda-linked militant group said in a statement on their website that "sick-minded American savages" committed the "blood-soaked and inhumane crime" in a rural region that is the cradle of the Taliban and where coalition forces have fought for control for years.


US-led forces in Afghanistan have stepped up security following the shootings out of concern about retaliatory attacks. The US Embassy has also warned American citizens in Afghanistan about the possibility of reprisals. As standard practice, the coalition increased security following the shootings out of concern about retaliatory attacks, said German Brig Gen Carsten Jacobson, a coalition spokesman.


Eleven of the 12 civilians killed in Balandi were from the same family. The remaining victim was a neighbour. From Balandi, the gunman walked roughly one mile to the village of Alkozai, which was only about 500 metres from the American military base. There the gunman killed four people in one house and then moved to Zahir's house, where he shot his father in the leg.


The exact circumstances of his arrest were unclear. Some US officials said the soldier returned to base after the shootings and was taken into custody, while later reports suggested he did not turn himself in.



Now you can read the Jamaica Observer ePaper anytime, anywhere. The Jamaica Observer ePaper is available to you at home or at work, and is the same edition as the printed copy available at http://bit.ly/epaperlive


ADVERTISEMENT




POST A COMMENT

HOUSE RULES

1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper � email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: advertising@jamaicaobserver.com.

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: community@jamaicaobserver.com.

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy



comments powered by Disqus
ADVERTISEMENT

Poll

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon
ADVERTISEMENT