Up in smoke

BY KIMMO MATTHEWS Observer staff reporter

Saturday, August 25, 2012    

Print this page Email A Friend!

THE hopes of scores of vendors who were planning to capitalise on back-to-school sales went up in smoke yesterday when an early morning fire gutted sections of the Pearnel Charles Arcade in downtown Kingston.

The incident — the third of its kind in three years — has triggered investigations by the Jamaica Fire Brigade as well as the police.

"At this time we are not able to determine the cause of the blaze, but the fire department and the police have launched an investigation into the incident," Public Relations Officer for the Jamaica Fire Brigade Emilio Ebanks said.

The senior officer said he was not ruling out the possibility of arson and added that the fire department would be increasing inspections of the facility to ensure that vendors were adhering to fire safety guidelines.

"This is a worrying trend," he said. "This is not the first time that the facility has been destroyed by fire and this cannot continue."

Yesterday, as firefighters laboured to put out the blaze, scores of vendors wept openly even as they scrambled to save what was left of their goods.

"This cannot continue," wailed Jacqueline Sang. "This is the third time in three years that the market burn down. Wi need the authorities to get to the bottom of this," said Jacqueline Sang.

"Right now I lose everything. All of my preparation that I was carrying out for back-to-school gone down the drain," she said.

Denise, another vendor, shared similar sentiments.

"It really hard for people to be working and when you look dem just lose all that dem work for right in the time for back-to-school," she said.

Another vendor, Carlos Whitehorn, was left worried about how he would repay money he had borrowed to purchase his goods.

"Everyting destroyed. Not even a pair a shoes nuh save," said the distraught young man.

Officials did not provide any estimates for the losses, but it is believed to be in the millions.

In the midst of the disaster, meanwhile, the police were hard-pressed to monitor the area as looters were on the prowl, seeking to capitalise on the vendors' misfortune.

The Fire Brigade reported receiving reports about the fire around 6:30 am.





1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper – email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed:

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email:

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy

comments powered by Disqus


Do you think an increase in JUTC bus fares is justified at this time?

View Results »


Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon