Woman accused of murdering Italian chef gets bail

Tanesha Mundle

Thursday, July 12, 2012    

Print this page Email A Friend!

A 23-year-old woman who is accused of stabbing to death an Italian chef during a dispute at their workplace last week was Tuesday offered bail in the sum of $500,000 when she appeared in the Corporate Area Resident Magistrate's Court.

Latoya Wilks, who was employed as an assistant chef at Caffé Da Vinci at The Market Place in Kingston, was taken into custody on July 1 and later charged with murder following the death of 40-year-old Pablo Auigliano.

Wilks was offered bail by Magistrate Georgianna Fraser following an application by her attorney Sean Kinghorn.

Kinghorn told the court that his client was at work on the day in question when Auigliano accidentally splashed hot oil on her. He said she spoke to him about it and an argument ensued.

Wilks, Kinghorn told the court, left the kitchen to make a complaint to their employer but was instructed to return to her duties.

On her return, Kinghorn said Auigliano immediately attacked Wilks but was restrained by a co-worker who took him to

their employer.

The court was further told that the employer was unable to calm Auigliano, who rushed back into the kitchen where he took up a knife and proceeded towards Wilks.

Wilks, the attorney said, picked up a knife which she tried to use to ward off Auigliano during which he was stabbed in the neck.

Kinghorn told the court that his client was hard-working and was kept on by the restaurant after completing her internship there.

He also asked the judge to take into consideration that his client had no prior offence.

The magistrate, however, questioned the attorney's account of the incident and was told by the prosecution that it was similar but that there was no eyewitness of the actual stabbing. However, the magistrate was told that the incident was captured

on tape.

Fraser then offered Wilks bail on condition that she reside with her mother in Spanish Town, St Catherine, report to the Spanish Town Police Station on Wednesdays, and surrender her travel documents with a stop order in place.

She is to return to court on August 21.





1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper – email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed:

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email:

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy

comments powered by Disqus


Do you think an increase in JUTC bus fares is justified at this time?

View Results »


Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon