Alleged gangster freed last week facing fresh allegations

Friday, November 15, 2019

Print this page Email A Friend!


DAYS after he was freed of charges under the anti-gang legislation because the main witness had been murdered, alleged August Town strongman George Ellis is back on the police's radar and could soon be hit with fresh charges.

Ellis, otherwise called “Boom” was freed after the director of public prosecutions had no choice but to enter a nolle prosequi, ending the case following the murder of the prosecution's key witness in 2017.

The alleged gang leader had been charged with being a participant in a criminal organisation, recruiting people for the organisation, establishing a criminal organisation and facilitating serious offences by being involved in a criminal organisation.

Police sources told the Jamaica Observer that during an early morning operation Wednesday in the Hermitage area of August Town a magazine loaded with 10 5.56 cartridges was found at the premises believed to be occupied by Ellis.

According to police sources, during the operation a man who is known to them was seen with a firearm. He fled on to premises on Warenda Place and avoided arrest. During a search of the premises the magazine was found.

Last week, the police lamented the unavoidable collapse of the case against Ellis and said that every effort was made by the police to have the individual placed in the Witness Protection Programme.

“Despite our best efforts, the individual resisted police protection. The police have taken persons into custody for the murder of the witness and charges have been laid against them. That investigation continues,” said the Jamaica Constabulary Force (JCF) in a release.

“The JCF would like to encourage potential witnesses in major cases to, when the need arises, make themselves available for witness protection. The Jamaican State and its partners have the capacity to protect persons who come forward to assist in the justice system. There is no need to refuse our efforts for protection.

“The JCF thanks the investigators and prosecutors who worked on this matter. We remain committed to the provision of thoroughly-investigated cases to the prosecution with good supporting evidence, as well as the protection of the rule of law in Jamaica. We are committed to keeping our citizens safe,” the release added.


Now you can read the Jamaica Observer ePaper anytime, anywhere. The Jamaica Observer ePaper is available to you at home or at work, and is the same edition as the printed copy available at http://bit.ly/epaperlive


ADVERTISEMENT




POST A COMMENT

HOUSE RULES

1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper � email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: advertising@jamaicaobserver.com.

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: community@jamaicaobserver.com.

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy



comments powered by Disqus
ADVERTISEMENT

Poll

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon
ADVERTISEMENT