News

Henry wants to take Palisadoes

BY BALFORD HENRY
Senior staff reporter
balfordh@jamaicaobserver.com

Saturday, January 06, 2018

Print this page Email A Friend!


Transport Minister Mike Henry said yesterday that he is still awaiting a report from the Norman Manley International Airport board on the crisis created by last Monday's traffic pile-up on the Palisadoes road.

He said that he expects to get the information in time to make a submission to the weekly Cabinet meeting at Jamaica House on Monday, on what might have led to the traffic jam that triggered flight delays and inconvenienced travellers.

At the same time, National Security Minister Robert Montague told the country that he has received a report on the debacle from Police Commissioner George Quallo and is currently reviewing the document.

Montague also said he has summoned the commissioner to a meeting at 9:00 am on Monday at his ministry.

Last night, Henry told the Jamaica Observer that he was concerned about the traffic arrangements made between the airport's management and the promoters of the New Year's day party, Sandz, which was pinpointed as the source of the excessive number of vehicles on the road.

He said he was aware of a similar pile-up last year, and had urged the airport administration to handle the matter more carefully.

However, Henry admitted that changes needed to be made to the highway leading to the airport, as it was not adequate for supporting airport peak traffic on a permanent basis.

He blamed the previous Government for shelving his multi-modal traffic plan for the area, which included increasing the lanes from two to four, building a boardwalk and even introducing a ferry system from Kingston.

He said that after he demitted office in 2016, the incoming government had discarded all his plans for controlling traffic in the area, and had left it increasingly vulnerable to peak traffic, especially with the expansion of facilities like the Caribbean Maritime University, which now has 5,000 students.

Henry also said that his hands are tied in dealing with the traffic issue, as the National Works Agency, which is the Government's road traffic authority, has been shifted to the Ministry of Economic Growth and Job Creation.

However, he said that he would continue to press for the expansion of the highway to four lanes, as well as the building of a boardwalk as an early response to the problem.

ADVERTISEMENT




POST A COMMENT

HOUSE RULES

1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper � email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: advertising@jamaicaobserver.com.

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: community@jamaicaobserver.com.

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy



comments powered by Disqus
ADVERTISEMENT

Poll

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon
ADVERTISEMENT