Murder contract

Murder contract

Witness names hitmen in former JUTC chairman's killing

Observer staff reporter

Friday, November 15, 2019

Print this page Email A Friend!

A State witness in the trial against Tesha Miller yesterday explained how he knew that the killing of then Jamaica Urban Transit Company (JUTC) chairman Douglas Chambers was a hit, and who had killed him.

The witness, who is being referred to as Witness One by the Jamaica Observer because the court instructed that all witnesses remain anonymous, testified during his evidence-in-chief that Miller told him face-to-face that Douglas's killing was a contract.

During the trial's morning session, Witness One testified that he was standing at a stall across from the JUTC depot in Spanish Town, St Catherine when he allegedly saw “Blackman and Bruckie” exit a motor vehicle and fired at Chambers.

Although he said both men carried out the execution, he admitted that he was unable to see Blackman's face because he was wearing a black pullover.

However, the witness said he knew it was him because he had handed over two guns to Blackman and Bruckie prior to the killing.

On Wednesday, the witness testified that he was instructed to create a diversion group a day before the JUTC chairman was murdered.

Yesterday, he confessed that he was a member of the diversion group and that after he handed over the guns to “Blackman”, he went for his gun and placed it on his waist before meeting up with other members.

He further confessed that after Chambers was shot, he “started to fire whole heap a shot in the air, so di shot dat we fire in di air [was] to scare the people that were coming out so dat di man dem could escape”.

The prosecutor asked him for how long was he firing the shots.

“Not for very long,” he replied.

Chambers was shot dead at the JUTC depot in Spanish Town on June 27, 2008, after he had left a meeting to smoke a cigarette outside.

According to police reports, two men armed with a high-powered rifle and a .45 calibre handgun shot Chambers repeatedly in the head.

During the afternoon session of the trial, the witness told the court that when he asked Miller about Blackman's whereabouts the following day, because he had not seen him since the incident, Miller told him that he had sent him on a boat to the Cayman Islands.

Miller is charged with accessory to murder before and after the fact.

The trial, which began in the Home Circuit Court on Wednesday, is scheduled to continue today.

Now you can read the Jamaica Observer ePaper anytime, anywhere. The Jamaica Observer ePaper is available to you at home or at work, and is the same edition as the printed copy available at




1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper � email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed:

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email:

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy

comments powered by Disqus



Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon