News

School administrators urged to be on high alert for dengue

Monday, January 07, 2019

Print this page Email A Friend!


THE education ministry has put school administrators on high alert in light of the dengue outbreak which the island is now experiencing, urging them to take necessary measures to protect the school population.

In a bulletin ahead of the reopening of school today the ministry has advised administrators to “free the school environment of mosquito breeding sites such as old tyres and containers in which water can settle, tins are punched with holes before disposing, and large drums, barrels and tanks holding water are securely covered”.

The ministry has also advised that public health teams from the Ministry of Health will be visiting schools to ensure that the necessary measures are implemented.

Last week the health ministry told the country that the mosquito-borne virus had surpassed the epidemic threshold for the month of December, with 123 case reports.

At an emergency press conference Minister of Health Dr Christopher Tufton stressed that: “This exceeded the outbreak threshold of 96 cases for December – the first month for 2018 in which the number of cases exceeded the outbreak threshold. As at today, 830 reported cases have been classified as suspected, presumed or confirmed”.

The ministry says it has implemented a number of response measures, including the extension of the enhanced vector control programme up to March 2019 to include the employment of an additional 500 temporary workers to identify and eliminate mosquito-breeding sites.

Opening hours for a number of health facilities have been extended to 8:00 pm, and an extended public education campaign is also being rolled out, with public service announcements regarding mosquito breeding sites, symptoms of dengue and personal protection tips being shared across media platforms, the ministry said.

Meanwhile, in a message to the nation yesterday the education minister said all systems are on track for a successful implementation of the Primary Exit Profile (PEP), starting with the abilities component next month.

Senator Reid urged parents, students and administrators to make use of the information provided via the special website and app, including relevant exam dates, curricula, lesson plans and sample items for each test.

He noted that the ministry has successfully completed the implementation of the national standards curriculum, including assistance of $77 million for the execution of the curriculum in primary schools.


Now you can read the Jamaica Observer ePaper anytime, anywhere. The Jamaica Observer ePaper is available to you at home or at work, and is the same edition as the printed copy available at http://bit.ly/epaperlive


ADVERTISEMENT




POST A COMMENT

HOUSE RULES

1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper � email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: advertising@jamaicaobserver.com.

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: community@jamaicaobserver.com.

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy



comments powered by Disqus
ADVERTISEMENT

Poll

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon
ADVERTISEMENT