Sponsoring undeclared family members in Canada


Sponsoring undeclared family members in Canada

Jamaica To Canada

Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Print this page Email A Friend!

Dear Mr Brown,

My father was sponsored by his Canadian wife a few years ago, and I was not listed as his dependent child. As such, he is unable to sponsor me. Can I still be sponsored by him? Because he wants me to come to Canada now that my mother is willing to give approval.

— BW

Dear BW:

Normally, applications for Canadian permanent residence include the declaration of all family members (spouse, common-law partner, dependent children), including those who aren't accompanying the applicant to Canada.

The ability to list all family members may be undermined by: Lack of awareness and lack of knowledge of a family member's whereabouts in a conflict situation.

That said, failure to declare a family member results in a lifetime ban on the principal applicant being able to sponsor that family member in the future.

Pilot programme

A two-year pilot programme began on September 9, 2019 in which:

1. A resettled refugee;

2. A person conferred refugee protection in Canada; or

3. A person who was sponsored as a spouse, partner or dependent child, will be able to sponsor undeclared immediate family members (a spouse, partner or dependent child).

The programme does not apply to sponsorship:

1. In an economic category;

2. After being sponsored in the family class other than as a spouse, partner or child (for example, parent/grandparent and their dependents, other relatives);

3. In the permit holder class;

4. As an applicant in Canada based on humanitarian and compassionate grounds.


To uphold programme integrity and address fraud and misrepresentation, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada is limiting eligibility of sponsors to those specific categories.

The applicants must still meet all eligibility requirements and prove admissibility to Canada.

If a previous application was denied, one can submit a new application for sponsorship if they are eligible to be sponsored and qualify for the pilot project.

I am not sure of your age, or whether you are still eligible. However, you may seek further assistance, if you wish.

Please visit jamaica2canada.com for additional information on Canadian permanent residence programmes, including Express Entry, the Study & Work Programme, visas or appeals, etc.

Antonn Brown, BA, (Hons), LLB, MSc, RCIC, is an immigration counsel and an accredited Canadian education agent of JAMAICA2CANADA.COM — a Canadian immigration & education firm in Kingston. Send questions/comments to jamaica2canada@gmail.com.

Now you can read the Jamaica Observer ePaper anytime, anywhere. The Jamaica Observer ePaper is available to you at home or at work, and is the same edition as the printed copy available at http://bit.ly/epaper-login




1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper � email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: advertising@jamaicaobserver.com.

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: community@jamaicaobserver.com.

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy

comments powered by Disqus



Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon