The Modern Immigrant Visa process

The Modern Immigrant Visa process

Ask the US Embassy

Wednesday, December 02, 2020

Print this page Email A Friend!

Q: What documents do I need for my upcoming immigrant visa interview?

A: If you have an upcoming immigrant visa interview, double-check that you have provided the correct documentation to avoid unnecessary delays in the processing of your case.

Most cases are now processed under the Modern Immigrant Visa (MIV) system, which makes it easy to upload documents before your interview. Consular officers pre-screen cases to identify missing or expired documents, so please monitor the Consular Electronic Application Center (CEAC) at to check your status, receive messages, and manage your case.

If a consular officer determines that you need an additional or updated document, we will send a note through the CEAC explaining what you need to provide.

Most frequently, we request tax documents from your petitioner or other sponsor. Please note that we currently require tax documents from 2019. You can either submit the IRS Individual Tax Return Transcript (available at under “Get Your Tax Record”), or the 1040 Individual Tax Transcript and the W2 Wage and Tax Statement together, but not the 1040 by itself. If you have uploaded only the 1040 form, we will ask you to provide the tax transcript or W2 form as well.

Q: How do I upload documents?

A: For step-by-step instructions on scanning and uploading documents, please review this guide: Acceptable file types include .pdf (preferred), .jpg, and .jpeg. Each scanned document must be no larger than two megabytes. Please upload documents with multiple pages as one file whenever possible.

Q: If I uploaded a document, do I still need to bring it to my interview?

A: You must bring certain original documents with you to the interview, including your original birth certificate, your original police certificate, and original copies of any other civil documents or court documents issued outside of the United States. For example, if your US citizen spouse is filing for you and you were married in Jamaica, you need to bring an original copy of your marriage certificate. For further guidance on preparing for your interview, please visit:

Keep on top of embassy news on our Facebook page, and by following @USEmbassyJA on Twitter and Instagram . We also answer general visa questions on our Facebook and Twitter pages.

Now you can read the Jamaica Observer ePaper anytime, anywhere. The Jamaica Observer ePaper is available to you at home or at work, and is the same edition as the printed copy available at




1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper � email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed:

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email:

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy

comments powered by Disqus



Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon