Trial of Clarendon cops hits snag

Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Print this page Email A Friend!

The murder trial of the three Clarendon policemen yesterday hit a snag in the Home Circuit Court due to the unavailability of a handwriting expert.

The expert, who is currently overseas, is being called by the prosecution to determine whether or not its key witness, who is now deceased, had signed three statements that were purportedly given by him.

When the case started in November, lead prosecutor Queen's Counsel Caroline Hay tried to have the document submitted into evidence. But objections were raised by the defence, who argued that the signatures on the statement were dissimilar.

Presiding judge, Chief Justice Bryan Sykes, agreed with the defence, saying that the differences in the signatures were obvious to his naked and untrained eye.

Consequently, it was agreed that the prosecution would have to bring a handwriting expert to prove that the signatures are authentic.

But yesterday Hay informed the court that the handwriting expert would not be available until Monday.

The handwriting expert's evidence was requested by the judge after the prosecution's case suffered another setback during its attempt to submit into evidence an affidavit that was used by one of the defendants, Detective Corporal Kevin Adams, during a bail application.

According to the prosecution, Adams, in that affidavit, had outlined what had happened during the killing of Andrew Bisson, allegedly by the three cops.

But the defence again objected and the prosecution was forced to make an application yesterday before the judge, who is to rule on whether or not the affidavit will be accepted.

The trial is set to continue today.

Detective Corporal Adams, District Constable Howard Brown, and Constable Carl Bucknor are being tried for murder in relation to the September 5, 2011 killing of Bisson in Corn Piece district, Hayes, Clarendon.

Allegations are that Bisson was among a group of people at a garage in the district when the three policemen took him into his nearby one-bedroom house and shot him to death during a police operation.

The defence is, however, contending that Bisson was killed during a shoot-out after he fired at the police. A gun was also reportedly recovered from Bisson.

Now you can read the Jamaica Observer ePaper anytime, anywhere. The Jamaica Observer ePaper is available to you at home or at work, and is the same edition as the printed copy available at




1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper � email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed:

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email:

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy

comments powered by Disqus



Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon