Venezuelan oil vessel in Gulf concerns Trinidad, US

Venezuelan oil vessel in Gulf concerns Trinidad, US

Sunday, October 18, 2020

Print this page Email A Friend!


PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad (CMC) — The Trinidad and Tobago Government says it has been engaged in “consistent action” with Venezuela after receiving reports that there had been tilting of the Venezuelan oil storage vessel, the FSO Nabarima in the Gulf of Paria.

“Our Government maintains its concerns about the threat to the environment and continues to seek the best for our people in this matter. Our expert inspection team is ready to proceed and we continue to press for access to the FSO Nabarima as soon as possible,” the Ministry of Foreign and Caricom Affairs said in a statement.

Port of Spain says it has “consistently utilised all available channels to press for verification of the status of the vessel.

“The Ministry of Foreign and Caricom Affairs, the Ministry of Energy and Energy Industries, and the Ministry of National Security have all been actively working on solutions to the Nabarima issue,” it said, adding that the Venezuelan Government has indicated that the vessel was indeed tilting some time ago, but emphasised that they had conducted initial stabilisation works on the vessel and that it is no longer in any danger.

But the ministry said that the Government “immediately sought actual verification of this” and that it has engaged “via repeated and consistent communication, including multiple notes verbales sent to Venezuela on the matter, with persistent efforts to achieve access to the vessel in order to make our own determinations.

“The Venezuelan Government then agreed to permit a team of our experts to cross the border and assess the Nabarima, but subsequently shifted from an initial position that this could be done by the end of September to their current position that the inspection team would receive permission to visit on 20th October.”

The Ministry of Foreign and Caricom Affairs said that without such permission, “our officers cannot cross the border and approach or access any Venezuelan asset”.

It said that on Thursday, the Venezuelan ambassador “categorically described a new photograph being locally circulated on social media, which purports to represent severe tilting of the Nabarima in October, as total propaganda.


Now you can read the Jamaica Observer ePaper anytime, anywhere. The Jamaica Observer ePaper is available to you at home or at work, and is the same edition as the printed copy available at http://bit.ly/epaper-login


ADVERTISEMENT




POST A COMMENT

HOUSE RULES

1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper � email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: advertising@jamaicaobserver.com.

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: community@jamaicaobserver.com.

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy



comments powered by Disqus
ADVERTISEMENT

Poll

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon
ADVERTISEMENT