What do I do if passport with non-immigrant visa is stolen?

Ask the US Embassy

Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Print this page Email A Friend!

Question: My passport with a valid US visa was stolen. What should I do?

Answer: If your passport has been lost or stolen, please contact your local police station to file a police report. You should then report the loss to our Consular Section, Fraud Prevention Unit, via e-mail, at Please attach copies of the police report and your identification to your e-mail. But please note that this e-mail address will not answer queries related to visa applications.

You will need to reapply for a new visa before travelling to the US. To do so, you must obtain a new passport, complete a new visa application, pay the application fee, and schedule an appointment. Visit or our embassy website at for more information on how to apply.

Question: I reported that my passport was lost, but I just found it. Can I travel with the visa if it is still valid?

Answer: Even if the visa's expiration date has not yet passed, the visa is no longer valid. Once you report your passport and visa lost or stolen, the documents will be flagged, and you cannot board a flight using them. This measure protects your identity and maintains security by ensuring that no one else can fraudulently use your documents. Always search thoroughly for your documents before reporting them lost or stolen, but do not delay once you are certain they are no longer in your possession.

Question: What if I still have my passport, but the visa itself has been damaged?

Answer: If your visa is damaged, you will need to apply for a new visa, following the steps outlined above. It is important to ensure the integrity of the document as airlines may deny you boarding for even seemingly minor damage, such as if your child scribbled on the page.

You can find more information on our website, and the Department of State's travel website, Keep on top of Embassy news on our Facebook page at and by following @USEmbassyJA on Twitter and Instagram. We also answer general visa questions on our Facebook and Twitter pages.

Now you can read the Jamaica Observer ePaper anytime, anywhere. The Jamaica Observer ePaper is available to you at home or at work, and is the same edition as the printed copy available at




1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper � email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed:

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email:

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy

comments powered by Disqus



Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon