Who can a permanent resident of Canada sponsor?

Wednesday, November 07, 2018

Print this page Email A Friend!

Dear Mr Brown:

I have a sister who is a permanent resident of Canada and who lives in Toronto. I would like to know whether she can sponsor me to live in Canada and, if so, I would like your assistance with the process.

— BT

Dear BT:

Under the Family Class, a Canadian citizen or permanent resident may sponsor the following persons to become permanent residents, namely:

1. Spouses, common-law partners (persons who are cohabiting in a conjugal relationship with another person for a period of at least one year) and conjugal partners (foreign nationals residing outside Canada who are in a conjugal relationship with sponsors in Canada for a period of at least one year);

2. Dependent children under the age of 22, unless there is an issue regarding physical or mental condition;

3. Children intended for adoption;

4. Parents, grandparents, and their dependent children;

5. Brothers, sisters, nephews, nieces, or grandchildren if they are orphaned, without a spouse or common law partner, and under 18; and

6. Any relative if the sponsor is alone in Canada with no relatives.


As a permanent resident of Canada, your sister would not be able to sponsor a relative under the following circumstances:

• She is in prison.

• She has not paid alimony or child support payments.

• She declared bankruptcy and has not been released from it.

• She receives social assistance for reasons other than being disabled.

• She did not pay back an immigration loan, made late payments, or missed payments.

• She sponsored another relative, in the past and didn't meet the terms of the sponsorship agreement.

• She is convicted of a violent crime, any offence against a relative or any sexual offence — depending on details of the case such as the type of offence, how long ago it was, and whether a record suspension was issued.

Accordingly, as a general rule your sister would not be able to sponsor you. However, because you did not provide me with sufficient information, I am unable to determine if the exception would apply to you.

Please visit jamaica2canada.com for additional information on Canadian permanent residence programmes, including Express Entry, the Study and Work progamme, visitor's visas or appeals, etc.

— Antonn Brown, BA, (Hons), LLB, MSc, RCIC, is an immigration counsel, education agent and managing director of JAMAICA2CANADA.COM, a Canadian immigration & education firm in Kingston. Send questions/comments to jamaica2canada@gmail.com

Now you can read the Jamaica Observer ePaper anytime, anywhere. The Jamaica Observer ePaper is available to you at home or at work, and is the same edition as the printed copy available at http://bit.ly/epaperlive




1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper � email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: advertising@jamaicaobserver.com.

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: community@jamaicaobserver.com.

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy

comments powered by Disqus



Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon