Your sister can't sponsor you but....

Jamaica To Canada

Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Print this page Email A Friend!

Dear Mr Brown:

I would like to know whether my sister and her husband can sponsor me to live in Canada; they live in Toronto. I would like your assistance in doing so.


Dear BSJ:

Under the Family Class, a Canadian citizen or permanent resident may sponsor the following persons to become permanent residents, namely:

1. Spouses, common law partners (persons who are cohabiting in a conjugal relationship with another person for a period of at least one year) and conjugal partners (foreign nationals residing outside Canada who are in a conjugal relationship with sponsors in Canada for a period of at least one year);

2. Dependent children, under the age of 19, unless there is an issue of physical or mental conditions;

3. Children intended for adoption;

4. Parents, grandparents, and their dependent children;

5. Brothers, sisters, nephews, nieces, or grandchildren if they are orphaned, without a spouse or common law partner, and under 18; and

6. Any relative if the sponsor is alone in Canada and has none of the above family members to sponsor.

Accordingly, your sister would not be able to sponsor you.

Study and work option

You may wish to pursue studies in Scarborough; Humber College is an excellent institution in Toronto. You would be able to work part-time (up to 20 hours per week) during classes and full-time during the breaks. After the completion of your studies, you would be able to work full-time on a postgraduate work permit. You would then have the option of applying for permanent residence.

I can assist you with the process of school admission and guide you through the process of applying for the study permit, should you need or desire assistance. Scholarships may also be applied for.

Please visit JAMAICA2CANADA.COM for additional information on Canadian permanent residence programmes, including Express Entry, the Study & Work programme, visas or appeals, etc.

– Antonn Brown, BA, (Hons), LLB, MSc, RCIC, is an immigration counsel and an accredited Canadian education agent of JAMAICA2CANADA.COM—a Canadian immigration & education firm in Kingston. Send questions/comments to

Now you can read the Jamaica Observer ePaper anytime, anywhere. The Jamaica Observer ePaper is available to you at home or at work, and is the same edition as the printed copy available at




1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper � email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed:

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email:

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy

comments powered by Disqus



Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon