Click here to print page

Suspects held for Hanover's first four murders, police say

Thursday, January 18, 2018

LUCEA, Hanover — The Hanover police are reporting that they have taken suspects into custody in connection with the first four murders committed in the parish since the start of the year.

“Relative to the four murders, we have persons in custody for all the incidents,” disclosed Superintendent Sharon Beeput, who is in charge of the Hanover Police Division.

All four killings took place during the first five days of January in the Sandy Bay Police Division in the constituency of Hanover Eastern.

The four killed are: 49-year-old Richard Crooks of Haddington, 27-year-old Keno Ottey of Bamboo, Hopewell; 48-year-old Annette Smith, and her common-law husband, 54-year-old Weston Garvey, of Camp Road in Hopewell.

The police have since charged Edwards Crooks with the murder of his brother, Richard Crooks.

In fact, Superintendent Beeput added that the three killings committed in Hopewell are as a result of an ongoing family feud.

“I am just imploring everyone for this new year, it doesn't make sense we all sit back and relax, because if we sit back and relax things will get out of hand. I am seeking the corporation of everyone,” Superintendent Beeput said.

“We have to be using the community intervention now, because what we have realised, the murders that I have spoken about earlier, the persons are relatives. These are no strangers! Brother against brother. The Otteys and the Garveys are family, so it is no stranger from outside. It is just family, family, family. What is the root of the problem? We have to try to get to that,” she insisted.

Smith and Garvey were killed two Fridays ago at their home.

The Hanover Police have since listed the couple's son, 31-year-old Ricardo Garvey, otherwise called “Trooper” as a person of interest in relation to the killings. The police say he may be able to assist them in their ongoing investigations.

“We are trying to locate him. ...he has not yet turned himself in, but we have some good leads that we are working on. So don't be daunted to say that we are going back to where we are from. No, we aren't going there. We are trying our best to keep things good,” Superintendent Beeput stressed during last week's general monthly meeting of the Hanover Municipal Corporation.

According to Superintendent Beeput, the police are doing their best to protect the remaining family members in the area.

“Other persons who are related, we try our best to relocate them from the community whilst we do our work inside,” she said.

In the meantime, the Hanover police are also asking Oneil Holder and Jermaine Bowen to turn themselves in for questioning, in connection with the feud.

The police also want to question Marvin Strachan in connection with a shooting-with-intent incident committed on Tuesday, January 2 in Williams Field, Dias, Hanover.

And, in another matter, Superintendent Beeput said Reneco Graham, who was believed to have been responsible for the shooting of four people in Cops, Hanover on New Year's Day, was killed on Creek Street in St James on January, 3.

Meanwhile, three firearms have so far been recovered in Hanover since the start of the year.

“The guns are here. It is just for us to find them. A lot of guns are in this parish. A lot of them, but it is just for us to get hold of them. So, whatever information you have, please feel free and let us know,” Beeput said.

Last year there were a total of 60 murders committed in the parish.

Twenty-one firearms, along with approximately 130 rounds of ammunition, were also recovered during the year.