Bail denied for alleged extortionists
MANDEVILLE, Manchester — Accused extortionist Careba Salmon, 24, and Sandre Bogle, 20, were denied bail when they appeared in the Manchester Parish Court yesterday.
The two are among five people answering to extortion and conspiracy to extort charges in connection with a racket targeting business operators in Manchester and Clarendon.
The others are Sheila Smith, 62, Keeno Powell, 21, and Beko March, who is also 21 years old. However, no bail requests were made for them.
Salmon and Bogle were the only ones with legal representation yesterday.
They were all remanded until March 30.
Joel Nelson, the defence attorney for Salmon, argued that his client is a mother with no previous convictions. He also told the court that she is not a flight risk and will not interfere with the process of justice if she is released.
Meanwhile, Attorney Howard Lettman, who represented Bogle, said that he was not participating in any act of extortion but was merely in the company of one of the co-accused when he was taken into custody.
Lettman contended that to see someone with sealed envelopes does not readily arouse suspicion.
“If he is not bailable, I am at a loss,” Lettman said.
He implied that the co-accused that Bogle said he was accompanying, is also claiming innocence in relation to the extortion charges.
The Crown said that the investigation is ongoing and any bail given could affect its progress.
Parish Judge Desiree Alleyne said yesterday that the bail application is under review.
The five accused are now before the court because earlier this month, police officers received “extortion letters” from business operators in Manchester, which were linked to them.
— Alicia Sutherland