Foreign coach for Montego Bay club
Football trials to start next week
TUCKER, St James — Red Stripe Premier League champions Montego Bay United (MBU) will be taking orders from a foreign coach when the 2014-15 season gets underway in August, Jamaica Observer West has been informed.
Executives at the Tucker based club were keeping the identity and nationality of the new coach close to their chests and would only say that the new man to take over the helm was not a Jamaican.
This would be the second time in their four-year history that MBU would be led by a non-Jamaican following the hiring of Brazilian Nedier Dos Santos who guided the team from early in their first season in the Premier League to early in 2012-13. Dos Santos the left the club after a slow start. Dr Dean Weatherly who had assisted Dos Santos took over the team for the remainder of the season.
In this past season, the much travelled Donovan Duckie took charge at the start of the season but left midway the third round. He was replaced by Hugh Solomon who also left after a short stint and Weatherly then guided the team to the title.
The identity of the new coach will be revealed soon, however, as the team is scheduled to start pre-season training on July 21 after a week of open trials at Wespow Park, it has been revealed.
On Tuesday, Sandra Christie who replaced Orville Powell as president of the club, told the Observer West the team would be holding open trials for players who want to be part of the squad for the new season, including those who are requesting transfers to MBU.
"So far we have not signed any player nor have we released any," she said, "but those that are coming in, regardless of their status where they are coming from, must go through the process of joining those in the
tryouts," she said adding that the try-outs would start on Monday, July 14. Director of Football, Weatherly will oversee the tryouts.
While they will be seeking to upgrade the team overall, Donald Martin an executive of the club, said the team would be paying special attention to certain areas where there could be shortages as at least two players are scheduled to leave the island for trials with overseas clubs.
The identities of the players were not revealed as Martin said they wanted to be certain that everything had gone well with the transactions.