Sport

'Best' and worst of Tino!

Hamstring puts in-form bowler out of limited overs series

Monday, November 26, 2012    

Print this page Email A Friend!


KHULNA, Bangladesh (CMC) — Fast bowler Tino Best will miss the limited overs series against Bangladesh with a grade one hamstring injury.

The 30-year-old picked up the injury on the opening day of the just-concluded second Test at the Sheikh Abu Naser Stadium. He returned to bowl West Indies to victory in the second innings with a six-wicket haul but physiotherapist CJ Clark said the injury needed further treatment.

"Though being able to bowl in the second innings with pain-killing injections, he will need to return home to Barbados for ongoing treatment and rehabilitation," Clark said.

"It is expected that he will be back to full fitness for the Caribbean Twenty20 Tournament in January."

Best, who has had a chequered international career, will now be replaced by beanpole Barbadian seamer Jason Holder who was scheduled to head off to Bangladesh from the Caribbean yesterday.

The six-foot, four-inch Holder, currently a member of the West Indies Cricket Board's High Performance Centre, has taken 47 wickets from 16 first- class matches.

West Indies head coach Ottis Gibson said Holder had been rewarded for his steady performances with the A team.

"The selectors have started this policy of looking at giving some of our young players an opportunity at the international level to see what they can do," said Gibson.

"Jason has done very well with the A-Team, so it's a good opportunity for him to come here and get into the environment to see what it is like, and experience the work ethic required to be successful at this level.

"As a team, we have had a lot of success this year and he gets to share in what is becoming a successful West Indies team."

West Indies face Bangladesh in five One-Day Internationals and one Twenty20 International in a series which bowls off here November 30.

ADVERTISEMENT

POST A COMMENT

HOUSE RULES

 

1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper – email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: advertising@jamaicaobserver.com.

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: community@jamaicaobserver.com.

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy



comments powered by Disqus
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Poll

Did the NWC prepare adequately for the current drought?
Yes
No


View Results »


ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon
ADVERTISEMENT