Sport

Agent says Bolt not party to Cayman Invitational media censor

'Not our policy'

BY PAUL A REID Observer writer

Tuesday, May 07, 2013    

Print this page Email A Friend!


MONTEGO BAY, St James — The management of global sprinting superstar Usain Bolt has distanced itself and the athlete from restrictions placed on the media covering the Cayman Invitational tomorrow.

An e-mail purportedly from the meet organisers yesterday issued media guidelines for the Cayman Invitational in which it asked media personnel to "thoroughly review the guidelines document, which outlines code of conduct for all media, as well as suggested questions and bios of athletes".

The communiqué warned all media to refrain from asking Usain Bolt about his injury and why he pulled out of the Jamaica Invitational. Also, it said there "should be no mention of Yohan Blake in any capacity", and that failure to adhere to these rules would result in the media being removed from the press conference.

Ricky Simms, Bolt's agent, was swift to respond to the reports that surfaced yesterday, telling the Jamaica Observer: "This is certainly not our policy. Usain is available to answer anything as usual." Simms also said that they were not aware of where the restrictions came from.

The email was sent over the name of Jenna Lucas of Tower Marketing, Cayman Islands.

Bolt withdrew from the 200m at last weekend's JII meet at the National Stadium after reporting a slight injury at training about a week before.

A release from Simms last week said Bolt had experienced slight discomfort in his hamstring and as a precaution would miss the Jamaican meet.

Blake was not scheduled to compete at the Cayman meet and had been scheduled to compete at the Doha Diamond League meet set for this Friday, as well as the Shanghai Diamond League on May 18.

Bolt is one of several Jamaicans who will be taking part in the Cayman meet, including sprint hurdlers Hansle Parchment and Dwight Thomas, Kerron Stewart and quarter-miler Novlene Williams-Mills.

ADVERTISEMENT

POST A COMMENT

HOUSE RULES

 

1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper – email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: advertising@jamaicaobserver.com.

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: community@jamaicaobserver.com.

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy



comments powered by Disqus
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Poll

Do you think government is justified in spending $4m to send home Trinidadian Abu Bakr?
Yes
No


View Results »


ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon
ADVERTISEMENT