'Tegat' hails Arnett after comeback win

BY LIVINGSTON SCOTT Observer staff reporter

Wednesday, September 26, 2012    

Print this page Email A Friend!

RED Stripe Premier League leaders Arnett Gardens rallied from two goals down to outscore rivals Boys' Town, 3-2, in a pulsating 'Monday Night Live' Trench Town derby at the Tony Spaulding Complex.

The visiting Boys' Town took the lead through Michael Campbell after only five minutes, then wasted a penalty to go two up 10 minutes later.

Rafiek Thomas added a second for the Andrew Price-coached Boys' Town on the half-hour, but Arnett Gardens' new sensation Lamar Nelson pulled one back for the hosts just before the break.

Captain Kirk Ramsey completed the comeback for the Paul Tegat Davis-coached team with a second-half brace.

Arnett are now unbeaten with three wins from four starts and coach Davis believes his young troops are showing the desire required for success.

"We are much better than them... and in the second half we took our chances and won the game," he

told reporters.

"But the league has just started... and a lot of teams are going to come at us so we have to prepared," he added.

The game was barely underway when Campbell fired Boys' Town ahead with five minutes gone in the contest. However, goalkeeper Damion Hyatt should have done better with Campbell's harmless-looking effort from outside the area.

The visitors continued to look the more organised of the teams and were more dangerous in their attacking forays.

They had another great chance to extend their lead when they were awarded a penalty in the 15th minute. But Hyatt made up for his earlier blunder by denying Campbell's effort from 12 yards.

Boys' Town were to add to their tally in the 30th minute when Thomas got onto the end of a shot across the face of goal to stab home from close range.

Arnett, who played second fiddle for most of the half, came into their own late in the period and were given a lifeline six minutes before the interval when Nelson drove an unstoppable free-kick from 25 yards past a hapless Kirk Porter in the Boys' Town goal.

After the break, Arnett turned their game up a notch and 15 minutes into the half were on level terms when Ramsey ran unchallenged through the Boys' Town defence and fired a low left-footed effort into Porter's far post for the equaliser.

Arnett continued to have the better of their opponents and in the 72nd minute they got the go-ahead goal when Nelson's shot across the face of goal escaped a host of defenders and fell kindly to Ramsey to score from close in.

For Boys' Town coach Andrew Price, the defeat was a bitter pill to swallow as he believed the missed penalty and the goal before the break made all the difference.

"In the second half we did not come out sound tactically... and we gave up two 'soft' goals and just couldn't come back," he said.





1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper – email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed:

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email:

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy

comments powered by Disqus


Should the shift system be eliminated  in all high schools?
Not All

View Results »


Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon