PORT ANTONIO, Portland — The 49th Port Antonio International Marlin Tournament got underway yesterday with Governor General, Sir Patrick Allen, declaring the event open at 8:24 am at the Ole Marina.
The GG commended the anglers and said: "I want to welcome the locals... and the five overseas teams. We really appreciate your coming and wish for you all the best throughout the week."
Tournament chairman, Dr Ron DuQuesnay said: "There are 33 boats with 130 anglers registered so far. We have five overseas team, two from the United States; a Dutch team and French team who have their own boat here.
"The weather is good but there is a threat that it may deteriorate by Wednesday, but hopefully, the tournament will be on its way and we will see how that goes."
Dr DuQuesnay was pleased that there wouldn't be any disruption to the tournament as word was out that the Ole Marina would be closed tomorrow.
"The termination of the lease from the Port Authority is due to take effect on Wednesday or Thursday, but I have it on good grounds that they are not going to follow through on that. I am grateful," he said.
Meanwhile, five marlins had been tagged and released on the first day of the tournament. Participants include Head First with angler Doug Simpson; Feeva with Andrew Wilkinson; C Willy with Jerard Devourie, Contagious and Diana.