Sport

Badminton boss apologises for match-fixing scandal

Thursday, August 02, 2012    

Print this page Email A Friend!


LONDON, England (AFP) — Badminton chief Thomas Lund apologised for the Olympic matchfixing scandal which led to the disqualification of eight players yesterday, but insisted the sport’s future in the Games was secure.

Olympic champion from China, Yu Yang and her new partner Wang Xiaoli, two South Korean pairs, Ha Jung-Eun and Kim Min-Jung, Jung Kyung-Eun and Kim Ha-Na, and Meiliana Jauhari and Greysia Polii of Indonesia were kicked out.

All eight were accused of attempting to manipulate the final standings in the first round group stage of the women’s doubles to avoid playing compatriots or to get less difficult opposition in the quarter-finals.

They were found guilty of “not using best efforts to win a match” and “conducting oneself in a manner that is clearly abusive or detrimental to the sport”.

“No, I am not embarrassed, I am very very sorry it has happened,” said Badminton World Federation (BWF) Lund.

“The most important thing is that we have dealt with the issues, and done it in the interests of all the players in the tournament.

“There has been a very hard consequence for the eight players but we have 172 players and we must act in the best interests of them all.”

The two doubles pairs from South Korea failed to get their disqualification overturned, the Indonesian pair withdrew their appeal while the Chinese accepted the original decision.

Lund added they will suffer no further punishments, fines or bans, nor will there be any punishments based on allegations that coaches or national associations might have been involved.

Lund said he was confident that the International Olympic Committee (IOC) would not take a dim view of the sport, which was first included in the Games relatively recently in 1992.

Confronted by an allegation that such match-throwing had been rife within the sport for many years, Lund denied it, saying that the BWF had “closely monitored” matches during the Olympic qualifying system and had seen no evidence of it.

Lund also rejected wholesale criticisms of the round-robin group system, which some coaches and players, notably Olympic men’s singles champion Lin Dan, believe has tempted players to try to take advantage of loopholes.

ADVERTISEMENT

POST A COMMENT

HOUSE RULES

 

1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper – email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: advertising@jamaicaobserver.com.

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: community@jamaicaobserver.com.

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy



comments powered by Disqus
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Poll

Did the NWC prepare adequately for the current drought?
Yes
No


View Results »


ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon
ADVERTISEMENT