Boys' Town fall short despite win over Lion

BY OSHANE TOBIAS Observer writer

Monday, May 07, 2012

Print this page Email A Friend!

FOR a second season running, Boys' Town will have to settle for a second place finish despite scoring an impressive 3-0 win over Humble Lion in yesterday's Red Stripe Premier League finale at Effortville.

The 'Red Brigade' entered the final day of the season knowing only a huge victory in Clarendon, coupled by a Portmore United defeat, would have given them any chance of lifting their first title since 1988.

And after 68 minutes, Andrew Price's side looked well on their way to achieving the unthinkable, with goals from Rafiek Thomas and Marvin Morgan keeping the dream alive.

But, with Portmore holding on for a 1-1 tie against Waterhouse at Ferdie Nieta Park, Boys' Town's win became irrelevant, as they finished the season one point behind the St Catherine side, who were lifting the trophy for a fifth time.

Coach Price was, however, full of praise for his players, whom he labelled true champions.

He said: "We lost the opportunity to win the title when we lost a couple games that we shouldn't have lost, but guess what, I can't fault my team for giving an honest effort for the entire season.

News coming in that Portmore had taken an early 1-0 at Ferdie Nieta Park seemed to have got the better of Boys' Town, as they laboured aimlessly without creating any real goalscoring chances for the 40 minutes of the contest.

The breakthrough would, however, come on 41 minutes when Kearn Binns left a couple defenders for dead before a delightful cutback for the unmarked Thomas to fire home from close range.

Three minutes later, the visitors increased their lead as Morgan took advantage of a defensive error to round Humble Lion goalkeeper Garth Herron for a simple finish.

Thomas then headed in a third to give his team hope of a grandstand finish, but with Portmore earning the point they needed, it proved to be just a consolation for another impressive season.

In other results, Tivoli Gardens defeated Harbour View 2-1 at the Edward Seaga Sports Complex, Arnett Gardens and Highgate drew 1-1 at the Anthony Spaulding Sports Complex, while relegated Reno and Village United also ended 1-1 at Frome.

Now you can read the Jamaica Observer ePaper anytime, anywhere. The Jamaica Observer ePaper is available to you at home or at work, and is the same edition as the printed copy available at




1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper � email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed:

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email:

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy

comments powered by Disqus



Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon