Campbell hit brace to propel Waterhouse past Arnett Gardens

BY HURBUN WILLIAMS Observer writer

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Print this page Email A Friend!

WATERHOUSE, preparing for another conquest in the Caribbean Football Union Club Championship in Haiti at the weekend, gave themselves a rousing send off with a forceful 3-1 win against 10-man Arnett Gardens in their third-round Red Stripe Premier League game at Drewsland on Monday night.

The result left coach Anthony Patrick pleased. "We are very pleased with this victory today as we ran very, very hard and got a quality of win that could not come at a better time. We had two main objectives going into the match. One was to leave for our short tour abroad on a winning note and to make sure that we win to keep pace at the top, as Harbour View were winners on Sunday."

His opposite number Jerome Waite conceded that it was a very difficult game: "It was a tough match. The margin could have been more. nevertheless we persevered and got a goal, but overall the performance was not good today."

Waterhouse, who depart the country for Haiti today, launched a fierce opening attack of frenetic pace against the visitors, they were in front just after the kick-off from a sixth-minute penalty converted by Hughan Gray, after big defender Oneil Thompson committed the infringement in the area.

Inspired by their early good fortune, Waterhouse continued to press for more success and went farther ahead 10 minutes on, through Romario Campbell, who scored from his direct corner kick for the first of his two goals.

Waterhouse should have increased their lead midway the half, but Chedlin Francoeur, after getting an unhindered run on the Arnett Gardens goal, slammed the ball against an advancing goalkeeper Damian Hyatt.

When the teams returned for the second half it was Arnett Gardens who took the game to their hosts. But even though Waterhouse were showing some visible negative effects from their hectic opening spell, they held firm on their lead as goalkeeper Richard McCallum displayed good form between the uprights with timely interceptions.

Just when things began to look promising for Arnett Gardens after mounting a series of attacks in an attempt to take something out of the game, Campbell struck again for his second in minute 65.

With an exquisite dipping left-footed strike, the talented midfielder beat Hyatt neck and crop from almost 30 yards to settle the issue.

And to add insult to injury, Arnett Gardens went down to 10 players after the former Waterhouse man Kemal Malcolm received his marching orders on the hour mark for violent conduct.

Fabian Reid came off the bench to add some respectability to the score, but time had run out to leave Arnett Gardens consoled by the late goal in the final minute of time added.




1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper � email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed:

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email:

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy

comments powered by Disqus



Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon