Coach pleased with Jamaican Paralympians
BEDFORD, England — Neville Sinclair, head coach for Jamaica's Paralympic team, is pleased with his top three athletes after yesterday's final training session at the Bedford International athletics stadium here in East Anglia.
The six athletes who made the trip went through their routines and Sinclair told the Jamaica Observer he was "very pleased" as they showed in the last three to four days that "they are ready".
Only three of the six are certain to compete in the August 29 to September 9 meet given a quota system that was only explained to the team just prior to departure.
Sylvia Grant, who will be making her seventh appearance at the Games; Tanto Campbell and Alphanso Cunningham, former world record-holder in the F53 discus throw are certain to compete, barring any injuries.
Grant suffered a cut to a finger on her right throwing hand at the end of a long session with the javelin yesterday, but is expected to be okay.
The athletes will make the two-hour journey by bus to London for a meeting with Jamaican High Commissioner Aloun NDombet Assamba today before returning to the University of Bedfordshire before heading back to London tomorrow, where they will move into the Athletes Village for the Games.
Newcomer Toni Greaves is on a standby list in the javelin, but the cases for sprinters Javon Campbell and Shane Hudson are still uncertain.
Campbell, who competed at the ISSA Boys Champs in the Class One 100m where he made it to the semi-finals, was categorised by medical doctors as being "too strong" for his category, Christopher Zacca, president of the Jamaica Paralympic Association told the Jamaica Observer.
An appeal was, however, lodged and a hearing will be held on Friday in London. The Jamaicans are expecting a positive response in his favour.
Hudson, a silver medallist in the 200m at the ParaPan-American Games in Mexico last year and whose left arm is amputated just below the elbow, trains with the Racers Track Club but could find himself watchin from the sidelines due to the limitation on the number of athletes.
The six athletes have been training nonstop and Sinclair told the Observer following yesterday's session that he expects them to do well.
Cunningham will compete in both the discus and javelin. Tanto Campbell, the team captain, will compete in the F56 discus and Grant in the F57 the javelin.
"Tanto and Sylvia are big occasion athletes...," he said, adding that Cunningham could come close to the world record of 26.62 metres.