Cricket: Pooran suffers leg injury in car accident

Thursday, January 08, 2015

Print this page Email A Friend!




PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad (CMC) — Emerging wicketkeeper batsman Nicholas Pooran has been forced to withdraw from the Trinidad and Tobago Red Force after suffering leg injuries in a vehicular accident near his home town in Couva on Tuesday.
Pooran, 19, underwent surgery on Wednesday after suffering a fractured left ankle and a damaged left knee from the accident which occurred while he was returning home from training at the National Cricket Centre.
The accident happened hours after Pooran was named on the Red Force squad preparing for next week’s NAGICO Super50 regional one-day series to be staged here.
"The situation is being monitored and our doctors are in touch with the doctor who is treating with Nicholas," CEO of the Trinidad and Tobago Cricket Board Suruj Ragoonath told the Express.
"The first priority is his general well-being and the second priority would be his cricket."
Pooran’s absence is seen as a blow to the Red Force which is already without regular wicketkeeper/batsman Denesh Ramdin due to West Indies duty.
"It is a huge setback," said Ragoonath. "Nicholas is one of the most if not the most talented young players in the Caribbean. His career was very much on the launching pad. We are hoping that there is positive news coming out of the surgery."
Among those who visited Pooran at the hospital were his team-mates Yannick Ottley, Steven Katwaroo, captain Rayad Emrit and national team technical director David Williams.
Cricket Operations Officer of the T&T Cricket Board, Dudnath Ramkessoon, has announced that Pooran, who was warded at the San Fernando General Hospital, would be replaced by fellow wicketkeeper/batsman Steven Katwaroo.
"He seriously hurt his ankle and knee of his left leg in the accident and unfortunately would not be able to play in the Super 50 which gets underway on January 15," said Ramkessoon.
"We wish him a speedy recovery so he can be back to fitness".
The left-handed stroke maker burst onto the scene with a debut half-century for the Trinidad and Tobago Red Steel in the inaugural Caribbean Premier League Twenty20 tournament in 2013.
Also, he scored 143 out of a total of 208 for West Indies Under-19 , in a losing cause against Australia at last year’s under-19 World Cup in the United Arab Emirates.


Now you can read the Jamaica Observer ePaper anytime, anywhere. The Jamaica Observer ePaper is available to you at home or at work, and is the same edition as the printed copy available at http://bit.ly/epaperlive


ADVERTISEMENT




POST A COMMENT

HOUSE RULES

1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper � email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: advertising@jamaicaobserver.com.

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: community@jamaicaobserver.com.

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy



comments powered by Disqus
ADVERTISEMENT

Poll

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon
ADVERTISEMENT