Dogged Arnett wrest point from TG

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Print this page Email A Friend!

ON a day when both teams had their assistants in charge, perennial rivals Arnett Gardens and Tivoli Gardens battled to a 2-2 draw in their Red Stripe Premier League (RSPL) match at Tony Spaulding Complex on Sunday.

Goals from Fabian Campbell and a goalkeeper error from Damian Hyatt which gifted Nicholas Scott a goal, put Tivoli 2-0 up at the break.

However, Ricardo Oldham brought the home team back into the game with a 59th-minute strike, and Marcelino Blackburn restored parity seven minutes later with a sumptuous free kick from the edge of the box.

Arnett's assistant Lijyasu Simms praised his players for the fightback, but noted that they will have to address an obvious goalkeeper problem.

"I have to lift my hat to the guys; it was a gutsy performance to go 2-0 down against Tivoli and come back... although we wanted three points and we got one and we are satisfied," he said.

However, he said they intend to give first-choice goalkeeper Damian Hyatt some time off after his recent mishaps and will be hoping young goalkeeper Oraine Dixon can deliver the results.

"We have another goalkeeper, we just have to work on him because the 'keeper (Hyatt) needs a break," he added.

Tivoli's Alvin Shaw said injuries during the game disrupted their chemistry, but they were able to reorganise and hold out for the point.

"The injuries threw us off for a good half-an-hour, but I made a few substitutions to correct those weaknesses and we were able to hold it for the rest of the game," he said.

"But it was a really spirited performance, especially in the first half, and I'm proud of them," he added.

The visitors were off the mark six minutes into the contest when Campbell's vicious strike from the edge of the area gave Hyatt no chance.

The West Kingston side remained lively after the goal and were gifted a second in the 17th when Hyatt made a hash of Scott's speculative effort to send Tivoli 2-0 up.

Tivoli also found the net again in the 34th when Keithy Simpson headed home from a cross, but he was ruled offside.

Although Arnett controlled play in between goals and constantly made inroads down the left side of the Tivoli defence, their final ball was lacking and they rarely tested Edsel Scott in goal.

Their best chance of the half fell to Kirk Ramsey after 36 minutes when he was set up by Kemal Malcolm, but he controlled the ball and was robbed of possession.

Just before the hour mark the hosts got a goal back when Oldham, who had moved from the flank to central midfield, beat Scott with a low drive from 30 yards.

The goal brought the hosts to life and minutes later they were back on level terms when Blackburn, a former Tivoli player, beat Scott with a wicked free -kick from 20 yards.




1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper � email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed:

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email:

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy

comments powered by Disqus



Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon