Sport

Embattled Wenger gets backing from Mo Farah

Friday, February 17, 2017    

Print this page Email A Friend!


LONDON, United Kingdom (AFP) — Beleaguered Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger received some welcome support yesterday from British athletics legend and Arsenal fan Mo Farah.

Wenger has been pilloried in the press and by frustrated fans following Wednesday’s 5-1 hammering by Bayern Munich in the Champions League last 16 first leg.

With the 67-year-old Frenchman’s contract due to run out at the end of the season many are saying it is time for the club to begin a new chapter after 20 years in charge which has brought amongst other trophies three league titles but none since 2004.

However, Farah told yesterday’s


ITV News he believed Wenger deserved to be given a new contract.

“I’d like to see him at the top and see what he can do, get in a few key players,” said Farah.

“I love Arsenal. I love what he does. As an athlete like myself one race doesn’t change you as you, but it changes a result.

“Same thing in matches. A match like that, can affect immediately. But in the long term, if you look back at what he does for the club, he does an amazing job.”

Farah, quadruple Olympic gold medallist having achieved the 5000/10000m double in 2012 and 2016, hit the headlines last month when he denounced US President Donald Trump’s executive order temporarily barring entry to people from seven Muslim-majority countries, including Somalia where the runner was born.

Farah, whose journey from war-torn Somalia as a child took in Djibouti before arriving in England aged eight, labelled it a policy of “ignorance and prejudice that could keep him apart from his family (he and his family are based in Oregon where he trains)”.

The order was modified afterwards which would allow dual nationals and British citizens to freely gain entry to the USA although the whole issue is in limbo now as a US federal appeals court upheld the federal court’s ruling issuing a temporary restraining order on Trump’s measure.

“It’s important that I spoke up at the time,” said Farah yesterday after travelling back from training in Ethiopia.

“It did affect me. Speaking to my kids and not being able to see my kids.

“That affected me so it was important that I speak up and say what was right.

“I believe that was an unfair decision. Suddenly your country… when you’ve been there for 6 years and done everything right, overnight to tell you that you can’t come back to your kids is unfair.”

ADVERTISEMENT




POST A COMMENT

HOUSE RULES

 

1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper – email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: advertising@jamaicaobserver.com.

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: community@jamaicaobserver.com.

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy



comments powered by Disqus
ADVERTISEMENT

Poll

Do you support the Government's proposed spending of $200 million for Jamaica 55 celebrations?
Yes
No


View Results »


ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon
ADVERTISEMENT