Finally! - Portmore claim Premier League after nerve-racking final lap

Portmore stay course to cop Premier League crown

Monday, May 07, 2012

Print this page Email A Friend!

AFTER weeks of nerve-racking missed opportunities, Portmore United finally wrested the 2012 Red Stripe Premier League (RSPL) title after a 1-1 result in yesterday’s final round match against Waterhouse at Ferdie Neita Park.

Adoah Nickles was the star for Portmore with a third-minute strike, while Waterhouse’s Damarley Samuels ensured that the home supporters would suffer through a profoundly tense 90 minutes of football with a 19th minute reply.

The draw put Portmore on 67 points, just one ahead of a rejuvenated Boys’ Town outfit that did their best to harry and upset the St Catherine based team after a 3-0 win at Humble Lion in a simultaneous fixture.

Waterhouse ended in third place on 60 points.

Portmore’s coach Calvin Lewis, undoubtedly frustrated in the lead-up to the grand finale after his team’s faltering form in recent league games, was a relieved and elated man after the final whistle.

"I must commend the players for the job that they put in. Playing at home I was pretty confident that we would get that point today (yesterday). I told the players that once we are in front we wouldn’t have to worry about what would happen at Humble Lion.

"Words can’t say how I’m feeling right now. It’s football and you will have good times and bad. We did what we were supposed to do in the first two rounds but in the third it was a bit difficult for us," Lewis said.

Nickles pounced to score from close range in only the third minute of play after the usually reliable Waterhouse goalkeeper Richard McCallum could not hold onto a powerful 30-yard blast from Ewan Grandison.

The goal seemed to relax the Portmore team somewhat and they showed enterprise in attack against the visitors.

Waterhouse, however, pulled back a goal against the run of play when the competition’s leading marksman Jermaine Anderson worked his way down the right flank and crossed a grounder for Samuels to turn into the net.

The Donovan Duckie coached Waterhouse team proceeded to heighten the tension around the complex and threatened the Portmore goal on numerous occasions in the latter stages of the first half.

The second half lacked the creativity of the opening stanza and the game petered into a scrappy affair as both teams seemed reluctant to throw players forward.

Portmore, however, got the chance to wrap up proceedings midway the half when the crafty Alanzo Adlam was felled in the box by Hugh Howell.

Andrew Vanzie stepped forward to take the penalty, saw his shot expertly blocked by McCallum.

Despite a tense finish, Portmore were not to be denied and held on for their fifth national triumph.

Now you can read the Jamaica Observer ePaper anytime, anywhere. The Jamaica Observer ePaper is available to you at home or at work, and is the same edition as the printed copy available at




1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper � email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed:

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email:

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy

comments powered by Disqus



Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon