Firehouse back on top of RSPL

Waterhouse...........................2 Gray (46th), K Howell (59th) Montego Bay United............1 McCarthy (45th+1)

BY HURBUN WILLIAMS Observer writer

Saturday, April 12, 2014    

Print this page Email A Friend!

WATERHOUSE recovered from a below par performance on Monday night to defeat former leaders Montego Bay United 2-1 and move back to the top of the Red Stripe Premier League on 50 points with second-half goals from Hughan Gray and Kenroy Howell at Drewsland on Thursday.

Montego Bay United dropped to joint third spot on 48, alongside Harbour View, but on an inferior goal difference. With this victory, Waterhouse need only to win against Tivoli Gardens in their match at Drewsland on Sunday to secure a semi-final spot.

Playing at a more leisurely pace than is their recent custom Waterhouse were jolted on the stroke of half-time with a late goal from Fabian McCarthy.

That, however, was short lived as "Firehouse" returned for the second half well pumped up and had put to rest their patient build up approach of the first half. They were more attacking and reward was instant.

Hughan Gray, moving back to his normal position of striker for this game, gave Waterhouse the equaliser seconds after the resumption. Using his good speed to telling advantage, Gray outran the Montego Bay United defence and with a thunderous right-foot shot on reaching the top of the 18-yard box, belted a screaming right-footed shot that travelled like a rocket to the near post of goalkeeper Duvaun Smith to lodge high in the pigeon hole.

Showing signs of being stunned, Montego Bay United came forward readily and enjoyed a fair amount of possession in the Waterhouse half until becoming neglectful at the back, seeing that their hosts were without their frontline strikers. Their neglect was to Waterhouse's advantage, as entering the 59th minute ace midfielder Vincent Earle, who recently returned to the team following a long lay-off through injury, sent Kenroy Howell on his way with a long high ball.

The left-footed striker then controlled the ball before unleashing a power shot from just inside the box which goalkeeper Smith made a valiant attempt to hold as the ball slipped from his grasp and rolled agonisingly behind into an open net.





1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper – email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed:

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email:

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy

comments powered by Disqus


Do you think an increase in JUTC bus fares is justified at this time?

View Results »


Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon