I'm alright' — From hospital bed, Simoya Campbell reassures she’s fine

PAUL A REID Observer writer

Friday, July 13, 2012    

Print this page Email A Friend!

BARCELONA, Spain — After her health scare on Wednesday's second day of the 14th IAAF World Junior Championships here in Barcelona, 800m runner Simoya Campbell was told by team management that she would no longer take part in the championships.

Assistant team manager Neville Myton told the Jamaica Observer yesterday, the Spalding High student had indicated she wanted to be part of the 4x400m team that starts competition on Saturday's penultimate day.

Myton said, however, that the athlete, who was released from an area hospital on Wednesday night, was told her competition was over and she would be resting for the remainder of the trip.

Campbell was released from the hospital after spending most of Wednesday there undergoing a battery of tests that ruled out any serious illnesses after she collapsed earlier that morning on her way to the stadium to compete in the 800m semi-finals.

Myton said Campbell returned to the team hotel at around 8:00 pm on Wednesday and was "resting well and in good spirits".

Lincoln Cox, the team physician, also said that "clinically" the athlete was OK and also that they had not bothered to do the Lumbar Test, a spinal tap, to rule out any infections that were not picked up in earlier tests as he said it was not necessary.

Team manager Jullet Parkes had told the Observer on Wednesday that tests conducted on the athlete all turned up negative for any serious illness.

Parks said the doctors had performed a CT scan, chest X-rays and blood tests.

Campbell, speaking by telephone, told the Observer from her hospital bed that she was feeling fine. "I am alright, I was just feeling dizzy this morning (Wednesday), but had no pain," she said.

Arrangements were to have been made for the athlete to talk to her parents by phone as soon as possible.

Campbell, who had qualified for the semi-finals of the 800m after running 2:06.18 minutes on Tuesday, was rushed to the medical facility early Wednesday just after 10:00 am local time after she complained of feeling dizzy and collapsed on the team bus.

Reports are that she could not respond to verbal commands and her "eyes had rolled over to show the whites".

Campbell is one of several athletes participating in the 14th IAAF World Junior Championships who complained of "flu-like symptoms" on Tuesday's opening day of the championships.



Do you think an increase in JUTC bus fares is justified at this time?

View Results »


Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon