Leaders Trelawny, St James put unbeaten streak on line

BY PAUL A REID Observer writer

Saturday, July 19, 2014

Print this page Email A Friend!

FALMOUTH, Trelawny — Leaders Trelawny and St James will put their two-game winning streak on the line today when they meet in the final set of games in the first round of the Western Confederation Under-14 competition at Elliston Wakeland Centre starting at 3:30 pm.

Both teams have won their previous games and are tied on six points each, while Westmoreland and Hanover, both still seeking their first points, will meet at Watson Taylor Park in Lucea.

Trelawny lead on goals scored, though both have the same goal difference of three, and are coming off a 3-1 win over Hanover on Wednesday, while St James edged Westmoreland 2-1.

Andre Clarke and Chevan Christie had scored second-half goals for Trelawny to beat Hanover after they were tied at 1-1 at half-time on Wednesday.

Tino Benjamin gave Trelawny the lead after two minutes before Omar Greaves equalised in the 19th minute; Clarke, however, restored Trelawny's lead in the 53rd minute before Christie secured the points in the 82nd minute.

At Jarrett Park, Tavin Shaw's second goal of the competition, coming in the 78th minute, gave St James the win over Westmoreland. Calvin Gardner gave St James the lead from the penalty spot in the 10th minute before Renaldo Webster equalised for the visitors in the 68th minute.

In the first round played last Saturday, St James beat Hanover 3-1 in Lucea, while Trelawny edged Westmoreland 3-2 at Llandilo.

Richard Thompson in the second minute, Farono Birch in the eighth and Tavin Shaw in the 41st gave St James a 3-0 lead before Chevon Diaz pulled one back for Hanover in the 58th minute.

Nicoli Gallimore's double, in the 35th and 69th minutes, gave Trelawny the edge over Westmoreland for whom Abijah Wallace also scored a brace.

Rodane Hines also had a goal for Trelawny as he opened the scoring in the 20th minute, while Gallimore made it 2-0 after 35 minutes.

Wallace scored his first goal in the 63rd to cut the deficit to one, but Gallimore added a second in the 69th minute.

Wallace scored his second in the 74th to again cut the lead, but that was as close as they could get.




1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper � email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: advertising@jamaicaobserver.com.

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: community@jamaicaobserver.com.

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy

comments powered by Disqus



Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon