MBU stop Wadadah 3-1 in KO thriller

BY PAUL A REID Observer Writer

Friday, January 18, 2013

Print this page Email A Friend!

MONTEGO BAY, St James — Premier League contenders Montego Bay United (MBU) turned back an impressive and determined Wadadah FC on Wednesday night to join Reggae Youths and Catherine Hall in the semi-finals of the St James/Captain's Bakery Knock-Out competition.

MBU won 3-1 in the second game of the Jarrett Park double-header, with all four goals coming in the second half after the Super League club had dominated the first half. Both coaches were positive about their team's performances.

Dr Dean Weatherly of MBU said the game was a good preparation for Sunday's crucial second-round game against Savannah SC, while Wadadah's Daniel Ricketts said their performance gave him hope of a good run at the Western Confederation Super League title and a shot at returning to the Premier League.

Meanwhile, in the first game of the double-header, Reggae Youths saw off Super League club Norwood Strikers, 4-2, on penalty kicks after they had played out a goalless 120 minutes of regulation and extra time.

A day earlier, Catherine Hall had eliminated defending champions Tomorrow's People, 1-0, in extra time in a rescheduled game at the Bickersteth Community Centre.

Andre Barrett's 94th-minute goal was the difference as Catherine Hall continued their impressive season after going four games unbeaten in the Super League.

Catherine Hall will now face Granville United this afternoon at Sam Sharpe Teachers' College for a semi-final place.

The other semi-finalists will be decided tomorrow when Montego Bay United's Under 21 team faces Melbourne FC at Wespow Park in Tucker.

At Jarrett Park on Wednesday, Wadadah — who played six of the 11 new players they signed during the January transfer window — excited a small turnout at Jarrett Park as they attacked MBU from the start and created a handful of scoring chances in the first half.

With former Portmore United player Mario Swaby and Harbour View player Loxley Thomas pulling the strings from midfield, Wadadah had the majority of possession, relegating MBU to counter-attacks.

Things changed in the second half when MBU scored twice in the first 15 minutes from set plays. Wadadah pulled a goal back in the 81st minute through Swaby, but got caught on the counter in time added on.

Ladale Richie was unmarked at the far post in the 49th to head home a freekick from Lesly St Fleur to give MBU the lead and Winston Wilkinson powered home a freekick from the edge of the box in the 60th.

Wadadah kept up the pressure, however, and Swaby beat Jacomeno Barrett in the 81st to give his team hopes of at least forcing extra time.

With Wadadah throwing everything into attack, MBU struck on the counter, with St Fleur scoring from close range in the 94th to kill off the contest.




1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper � email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: advertising@jamaicaobserver.com.

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: community@jamaicaobserver.com.

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy

comments powered by Disqus



Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon