Mexico crush U20 Boyz 4-0

Jamaica out of World Cup finals

By Howard Walker

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Print this page Email A Friend!

PUEBLA, Mexico - Jamaica were sent crashing out of the quarterfinal of the CONCACAF Under-20 Championship and saw their FIFA World Cup hopes dashed after they went down 0-4 to host Mexico at the Estadio Cuauahtemoc Wednesday night.

A powerful deflected shot in the 12th minute gave Mexico the lead before Marco Bueno made it two, nodding home in the 43rd minute.  Francisco Flores and Jesus Escoboza both netted from freekicks in the 69th and 75th minutes as Mexico qualified in style.

Coach Luciano Gama gave a debut to Rickardo Oldham starting the Arnett Gardens midfielder at left back and brought back Sean McFarlane at right back with Zhelano Barnes and Shawn Lawes relegated to the bench.

Captain Alvas Powell was again partnered by Damion Lowe in the heart of defence with the midfield the same in Andre Lewis, Omar Holness, Paul Wilson and Keneil Kirlew with the diminutive Kendon Anderson on his own up front in a 4-5-1 formation. Rashaun Patterson once again got the nod over Nico Campbell in goal.

After watching El Salvador upset Panama 3-1 and sealed a World Cup berth earlier, joining the United States of America and Cuba, Jamaica must have thought they could do the same.
But in front a packed stadium with approximately 50,000 cheering fans, it was never easy and the Young Reggae Boyz were no match for the Mexicans.

It took them just eight minutes to trouble the Jamaicans defence and it came from a freekick which landed in the six yard box resulting in a mad scramble to get it clear.

Then four minutes later, the home team was in front. A long range effort took a wicked deflection and wrong footed goalkeeper Patterson in the 12th minute. Then in the 18th minute, Bueno should have doubled the advantage but his effort from close range went agonisingly wide.

Talented midfielder Julio Gomez got the ball in the back of the net but his effort was ruled offside in the 24th minute.
It took Jamaica until the 28th minute to penetrate the Mexicans as Holness surged down the right flank and found Lewis who in turn crossed to Anderson who mistimed his shot.

Despite having far less possession, the Jamaicans were not being overrun and in the 33rd minute, a Holness freekick caused some panic in the Mexican defence. Three minutes later Lewis cut inside and tested goalkeeper Richard Sanchez with a leftfooter which he held comfortably.

Then just as Jamaica felt they were getting in the game Mexico struck again, this time Bueno heading home from a right sided cross in the 43rd minute to end the half totally in control.

Jamaica were to concede two goals from freekicks in the space of six minutes. First Patterson was beaten at his near post by Flores in the 69th minute before Escoboza beat him again at his near post from the other side in the 75th minute making it four nil.
It was now a matter of how much the Mexiccans would score as the shout of Ole, Ole echoed around the stadium.




1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper � email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed:

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email:

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy

comments powered by Disqus



Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon