Miller okay after collision with Salvadorean player

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Print this page Email A Friend!

TORONTO, Canada -- Jamaica goalkeeper Dwayne Miller says he's feeling fine after taking the boot to the head after colliding with an El Salvador player during their rugged Group B match of the CONCACAF Gold at the BMO Field here on Tuesday.

Miller, who was rushed to hospital for checks, was released shortly after and has rejoined his teammates at the Renaissance Hotel in downtown Toronto. He was even seen walking about, with no signs of a lasting effect from the blow.

"I'm feeling a slight pain in my neck, but I am okay... I was going for the ball and the guy just put his boot out and it caught me in the head and kind of snapped by head back, but I am fine as the doctor advised me to keep working out the neck," said the Syrianska goalkeeper, who celebrated his 28th birthday on Tuesday.

Assistant coach Miguel Coley does not expect Miller to be greatly affected in the long run, saying that "he will be okay".

Reserve goalkeeper Ryan Thompson, who replaced Miller in the 23rd minute, had an outstanding game for Jamaica, making vital saves that helped his team to victory.

Central defender Jermaine Taylor, who plays his professional football with the Houston Dynamo, also sustained a leg injury in Tuesday's bruising contest and is expected to miss at least the next game against Haiti, a quarter-final fixture at the M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore on Saturday.

"Taylor is out for the next match, and I am not sure if he won't be out for the rest of the tournament," Coley said.

Team officials said that the defender, who has started all three games in the tournament so far, awaits the result of CT scans to determine the extent of his injury.

Jamaica, who eventually went down to 10 players after striker Darren Mattocks was questionably sent off, won the game 1-0 and topped the group on seven points.

Meanwhile, the JFF at press time, was planning to launch a protest against the red card issued to Mattocks. The Vancouver Whitecaps striker picked up a second yellow card in the 81st minute for a what many thought was a dubious foul called against him by Guatemalan referee Walter Lopez.

Costa Rica also advanced to the quarter-finals after their 0-0 draw with Canada, finishing preliminary action with three points. They will face the runners-up from Group C, which will either be Trinidad and Tobago or Mexico.

That group was due to be decided yesterday.

-- Sean Williams

Now you can read the Jamaica Observer ePaper anytime, anywhere. The Jamaica Observer ePaper is available to you at home or at work, and is the same edition as the printed copy available at




1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper � email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed:

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email:

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy

comments powered by Disqus



Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon