Sport

Samuels cleared by ICC to resume bowling

Friday, February 17, 2017    

Print this page Email A Friend!


DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (CMC) — West Indies player Marlon Samuels has been cleared by cricket’s governing body, the International Cricket Council (ICC), to resume bowling in international cricket.

In a statement yesterday, the ICC said Samuels had undergone remedial work on his off-spin action and, following a reassessment last January the National Cricket Performance Centre in Loughborough, the player was now found to have a legal action.

Those tests showed that Samuels’ elbow extension for all his off-spin deliveries “was within the 15-degree level of tolerance permitted under the ICC regulations for the review of bowlers reported with suspected illegal bowling actions”.


Samuels was slapped with a one-year ban in December 2015 after he was found guilty of an illegal action while bowling during the Galle Test against Sri Lanka two months prior. It was the second time Samuels had been reported in 24 months.

However, in clearing Samuels, the ICC said umpires were free to report Samuels once they believed he was employing an action which differed from the one in the player’s reassessment.

“To assist the umpires, they will be provided with images and video footage of the bowler’s remodeled legal bowling action,” the ICC said.

“If Samuels is reported again, he will be required to undertake further analysis of his bowling action at an ICCaccredited testing centre.”

The 36-year-old Samuels, more known for his elegant top-order batting, has taken 41 wickets in 71 Tests, 85 in 187 One-Day Internationals 19 scalps in 51 Twenty20 Internationals.

ADVERTISEMENT




POST A COMMENT

HOUSE RULES

 

1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper – email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: advertising@jamaicaobserver.com.

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: community@jamaicaobserver.com.

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy



comments powered by Disqus
ADVERTISEMENT

Poll

Do you support the Government's proposed spending of $200 million for Jamaica 55 celebrations?
Yes
No


View Results »


ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon
ADVERTISEMENT