Thrower Morgan to work with Russian-born coach
MONTEGO BAY, St James — Jamaica's discus thrower Jason Morgan is to resume training for the 2013 track and field season come Wednesday afternoon, the athlete said 24 hours after returning to his home base in Louisiana in the United States.
Morgan, one of 50 athletes who represented the country at this year's 27th Olympic Games in London, says he has little time to waste and wants to hit the ground running.
The former Calabar High sprinter turned discus thrower and who is in danger of losing his National Record 67.15m set earlier this year at a meet in Louisiana, has acquired the services of a coach Andy Kokhanovsky, an assistant at the University of Kansas, and will be working out with him at least once a month.
Morgan, who has been mostly self-coached for a number of years, told the Jamaica Observer on Saturday he would travel to Lawrence, Kansas once a month to work out with the Russian-born coach. "This is the type of sacrifice I am willing to make as I realise I can't do this all by myself," he said.
Morgan added he had put together a management team and from now on it is all positives. "I can't look back and all the talk about not getting any assistance is behind me now, I can't let that hold me back anymore," he noted.
The 30-year-old Morgan, who had flirted with the idea of an early retirement from the event, says he is recommitting himself to trying to achieve his full potential.
Morgan learnt on Friday that the 67.15m he had set at the Peak Performance Invitational meet at the University of Louisiana on May 12 — weeks after he had thrown 65.61m at the Leon Johnson Invitational at Walter P Ledet Track Complex on the campus of Northwestern State University in Natchitoches on Good Friday — would not be accepted as the National Record.
It was heard that the sport's local governing body, the Jamaica Athletics Administrative Association (JAAA,) had received communication from the world governing body, the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF), that Morgan's mark would not be recognised.
There are, however, conflicting reasons why the mark was not recognised. Tthe Observer learned that a letter sent to Charles Fuller, the JAAA's director of records, from the IAAF said the reason the mark has not been recognised is that "this discus competition was not in the official programme, and it was added at the last minute" and this was not permissible.
Also Dr Warren Blake, the president of the JAAA, was heard on radio saying that since Morgan was not drug tested at the meet, his distance could not be used as a National Record.