Titchfield High hold Young Boyz 2-2

Monday, August 11, 2014

Print this page Email A Friend!

JAMAICA'S National Under-17s were held to a 2-2 draw by Titchfield High School on the second and final day of the St George's Invitational tournament at Winchester Park, yesterday.

After defeating the hosts and former Manning Cup champions St George's College 3-2 on Saturday, the young Reggae Boyz failed to maintain their composure, which resulted in them giving up two second-half goals.

Under-17 Boyz coach Andrew Edwards is satisfied in the main with the team's showing over the two days, despite a drop in the quality of their performance in yesterday's encounter.

"We changed up the team a lot to give other players more time, what we wanted to do was to ensure that everybody got... equal amount of time to show what they have to offer," Edwards told the Jamaica Observer.

The game began at a slow pace, but the Young Boyz were the first to settle and were rewarded with a goal in the 15th minute through a strike from Charles Grant.

Both team's squandered numerous chances in the first half and it remained 1-0 at the break.

Edwards made four substitutions early in the second stanza, which resulted in more attacking, but still they failed to capitalise on their chances.

The Jamaica team then paid for their missed chances when Courtney Wilson got behind their defence and pulled the Portland-based outfit back on level terms in the 58th minute.

Alex Marshall, who replaced Donovan Dawkins on the pitch, immediately made an impact as his build-up allowed Tajea Brown to put the Young Boyz back in front in minute 68.

It didn't take Titchfield long to find the equaliser as Joel Greenburke was brought down inside the 18-yard box in the 73rd minute and was awarded a penalty. However, his kick was saved by goalkeeper Jahmali Waites, but Greenburke made no mistake on the rebound.

The second game between St George's College and St Elizabeth Technical High School (STETHS) was goalless at press time. STETHS opened their account with a 2-1 win over Titchfield on day one of competition.

The National U-17s used the tournament as warm-up for the upcoming Caribbean Football Union (CFU) qualifiers in Guadeloupe.

-- Sherdon Cowan




1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper � email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: advertising@jamaicaobserver.com.

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: community@jamaicaobserver.com.

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy

comments powered by Disqus



Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon