Sport

WICB withdraws U-19s from volatile Bangladesh

Monday, December 09, 2013    

Print this page Email A Friend!


ST JOHN'S, Antigua and Barbuda (AFP) — West Indies yesterday withdrew their Under-19 national cricket team from a tour of Bangladesh after a bomb explosion in the port city of Chittagong sparked fears over the squad's safety and security.

Police said a small device went off during a nationwide strike on Saturday evening outside Hotel Agrabad in Bangladesh's second largest city, where the visiting team were staying.

Although there were no injuries in the incident, the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) decided to withdraw their squad after considering a report from their security manager, Paul Slowe, a statement said.

"The report emphasised that the current security environment in Bangladesh is not conducive to the playing of cricket, in light of the 72 hours nationwide blockade, and calls for countrywide dawn to dusk protest," said the WICB.

"The State Department of the United States of America has also issued a travel alert to its citizens living in and travelling to Bangladesh.

"Travel arrangements are being made to allow for the team's return to the Caribbean as quickly as possible. The team will remain safely accommodated at the team hotel under adequate security protection until departure from Bangladesh."

Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) officials had held a series of meetings with the visitors, yesterday morning, in an effort to reassure their visitors.

"We've assured them of stepped-up security and they are now convinced," BCB director Akram Khan told AFP earlier in the day in Dhaka.

The explosion came during a nationwide transport blockade called by the country's 18-party opposition alliance, which is demanding the resignation of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and polls under a neutral government.

At least 70 people have died in the violence triggered by the protests since late October. They include several people hit by small bombs.

Crippling blockade and strikes have paralysed much of the country, forcing suspension of bus, lorry, ferry, and train services.

Bangladesh is due to host the 2014 World Twenty20 championship in March and April next year with Chittagong, Dhaka and Sylhet all scheduled to host matches.

ADVERTISEMENT

POST A COMMENT

HOUSE RULES

 

1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper – email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: advertising@jamaicaobserver.com.

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: community@jamaicaobserver.com.

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy



comments powered by Disqus
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Poll

If you found $10 million in the street would you return it to the owner?
Yes
No


View Results »


ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon
ADVERTISEMENT