Waterhouse ahead in CONCACAF Champions League

Saturday, August 30, 2014

Print this page Email A Friend!

A double strike from talismanic striker Jermaine 'Tuffy' Anderson condemned Tauro FC of Panama to their second defeat after they were beaten 4-1 by Waterhouse in their return-leg CONCACAF Champions League game at the National Stadium on Thursday night.

Anderson scored in each half with goals in the 13th and 55th minutes. He was well supported with goals from Damarley Samuels in the 34th and second-half substitute Neiko Williams, who completed the route in time added with Jose Luis Garces replying for Tauro FC in the 64th minute.

Waterhouse coach Anthony Patrick said it was a victory that pleased him as he praised his players for "a decent performance".

"But let us not let up and make the mistake that one performance could take us to where we are heading -- the FIFA World Cup Final. It is instructive to remember that the further we advance the steeper the task becomes and we must, as a team, continue to improve upon that which has already been achieved. Another very important game is coming up in another two weeks or so and we just have to get the players back into training to get some more work under their belts and hope for the best."

Skipper Samuel was also very heartened with the scoring effort of the team which included himself. "It was good to see the players responding to the coaches' call to score more goals. The coach expressed the view that the senior players need to step up with their industry in front of goal, so when we get our chances we just have to accept them and score as we did in the match."

Patrick's opposite number Jorge Dely Valdes did not have much to offer but said after being down by three goals after 55 minutes there was not much his team could have done, as much as they tried.

Still trying to overcome what appeared to be an insurmountable task, Valdes brought on the first of two changes and minutes after Luis Escobar replaced Christian Lopez, Garces reduced the score to 3-1.

The crucial victory against Tauro propelled 2014 CFU Club Championship Group Two winners back on top of the CCL standings of Group Four with six points from three matches in their drive for a spot in the quarter-finals of the Club Championship.

DC United are next on three points from their only game in the tournament, while Tauro remain winless after two matches.

Waterhouse FC were defeating Tauro FC for the second time in the 2014 CCL competition to remain competitive for a place in the tournament after losing to 1-0 DC United of the USA in their away fixture a week ago. Waterhouse will face DC United in another two weeks in a must-win return engagement at the National Stadium on September 16.

Playing before their home crowd for the first time in the series, Waterhouse at the kick-off wasted little time in going to work. Not allowing the visitors to settle on the lush green surface the home team created several early opportunities to score but had to wait until minute 13 before reward arrived.

Anderson, who before the game was five minutes old, was frustrated by the Tauro FC goalkeeper Luis Moreno in a one-to-one situation, finally got the breakthrough as he ran on to a deft through pass from Samuels and from inside the box unleashed a stiff right-footed shot that flew between the uprights and left Moreno rooted to his spot.

Following the early setback, the visitors redoubled their efforts but the Waterhouse defence, well manned by Evan Taylor, Nicholy Finlayson, Hughan Gray, Samuels, goalkeeper Richard McCallum and company, thwarted some good attempts from the visitors.

By throwing much effort into attack to get on level terms with their hosts, the 2013 Apertura Champions were a tad neglectful at the back and Waterhouse capitalised.

Vincent Earle operating from midfield fed Samuels a through ball but the left-sided defenceman had to fight off two opposing defenders on top of the box before riffling a rapier-like left-footed screamer to the roof of the Tauro net.

Ten minutes after the resumption Romario Campbell delivered one of his few major contributions to the game when he released Anderson for the striker to put Waterhouse three goals to the good.




1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper � email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: advertising@jamaicaobserver.com.

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: community@jamaicaobserver.com.

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy

comments powered by Disqus



Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon