High-flying Holy Trinity thrash Edith Dalton

Senior staff reporter

Saturday, September 23, 2017

Print this page Email A Friend!

Three goals by Shai Smith propelled Holy Trinity High to a 5-0 win over Edith Dalton James High in their Group F Inter-secondary Schools Sports Association (ISSA)/FLOW Manning Cup game at Bell Chung Oval yesterday.

The skilful Smith netted in the 25th, 44th and 53rd minutes, taking his tally for the season to seven goals. Omario Cole and Kadeem Crooks added goals in the 19th and 43rd minutes, respectively.

The Devon Anderson-coached unit has now rattled in 18 goals while conceding four times from four games, and have taken a stranglehold on Group F with 12 points.

St Jago High remain in second spot on six points, despite their match against Ascot High being postponed. Clan Carthy High joined them on six points following their 3-1 win over Jose Marti High, who stay on four points. Edith Dalton are on two points, while Ascot are bottom on a point.

Holy Trinity, who reached the semi-finals last season, produced a workmanlike display and look set to once again advance to the second round.

Coach Anderson has some talented players at his disposal and the red and blue outfit could cause some trouble later in the tournament. In Smith, Holy Trinity has a player that can win any game, any time. This tall, skilful striker brings back memories of one Raffique Bryan who terrorised defenders while helping Jamaica College to the title a few seasons ago.

Smith, who was transferred from Brown's Town FC to premier league outfit Portmore United, scored two penalties, but one of them was scored under controversial circumstances.

Holy Trinity had earned a penalty after Phillon Lawrence was fouled in the box. Referee Everton Barrett immediately pointed to the spot. Kadeem Crooks then took the ball and spotted it, but when the referee blew his whistle, the player turned away, and at that point his teammate Smith came bursting out of the crowd of players to fire home.

However, the rules governing the game suggests the penalty should have been retaken as Crooks was still in the 18-yard-box when Smith booted home.

Holy Trinity earned a second penalty in the 53rd minute, and this time Smith dispatched the kick with minimum fuss.




1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper � email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: advertising@jamaicaobserver.com.

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: community@jamaicaobserver.com.

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy

comments powered by Disqus



Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon