Pinatubo returns to winning form after disappointing runs

Sports

Pinatubo returns to winning form after disappointing runs

Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Print this page Email A Friend!


Pinatubo got back on the winning trail with a stylish victory in the Qatar Prix Jean Prat at Deauville on Sunday, July 12.

Charlie Appleby's stable star was crowned last season's champion two-year-old after an unbeaten six-race campaign —and was unsurprisingly all the rage for last month's 2000 Guineas.

However, the Shamardal colt could finish only third in the Rowley Mile Classic and suffered another defeat at Royal Ascot — filling the runner-up spot behind Palace Pier in the St James's Palace Stakes.

Dropped to seven furlongs for what appeared a gilt-edged opportunity to add a Group One as a three-year-old to his CV, Pinatubo was the 1/2 favourite in the hands of William Buick — but odds-on backers were made to sweat before eventually collecting their winnings.

While always travelling strongly, Pinatubo found himself stuck in a pocket for the first half of the race as he tracked fellow British raider Molatham.

However, once the gap came, the Godolphin-owned colt quickly moved through the gears to grab the lead and ultimately won with something to spare.

The Aidan O'Brien-trained Lope Y Fernandez was a clear second, three-quarters of a length back, with Marco Botti's Malotru edging Wooded for third.

Appleby said: “I'm delighted first and foremost for His Highness Sheikh Mohammed —another Group One-winning son of Shamardal for him —and I'm delighted for the horse, obviously.

“It sounds strange, but I felt he lost nothing in defeat in the Guineas or at Ascot. He went out with his heart on his sleeve and just got outgunned in the last 50 yards of both races.

“I came here today with plenty of confidence, to be honest. We knew dropping back to seven furlongs would be his bag — and while it was a bit of a rough race, as William said afterwards, when you're riding a horse like him everything just seems so easy.

“The horse deserved that today, and I'm thrilled for him.”

Considering future plans, the Newmarket handler added: “We'll get the horse home and discuss things with Sheikh Mohammed.

“I don't think we'll be going to Goodwood for the Sussex, personally. He's had three fairly quick runs at the top level now, and we might be better giving him a little bit more time.

“If we decided we wanted to stretch him out to a mile again, the obvious race is the Prix du Moulin, or if we wanted to stick at seven we could just wait for the Prix de la Foret before looking at taking him to Keeneland for the Breeders' Cup Mile.”


Now you can read the Jamaica Observer ePaper anytime, anywhere. The Jamaica Observer ePaper is available to you at home or at work, and is the same edition as the printed copy available at http://bit.ly/epaper-login


ADVERTISEMENT




POST A COMMENT

HOUSE RULES

1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper � email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: advertising@jamaicaobserver.com.

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: community@jamaicaobserver.com.

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy



comments powered by Disqus
ADVERTISEMENT

Poll

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon
ADVERTISEMENT